Can someone help me understand topical steroid?

Posted Fri 1 May 2020 05.14 by psoriasislivin

I take it that topical steroid help reduce the symptoms during flares. So does that mean you have to keep up with it consistently until your flares go away and only then can you stop? Or you have to depend on steroid for the rest of your life in other to keep psoriasis at a remission? I’m aware that psoriasis is an autoimmune disease and there’s no cure yet. Sorry I’m new to this and don’t understand how it works. My guttate keeps coming back and and get worse every time I stop using for a week. It’s been a month now since I got diagnosed.

Posted Fri 1 May 2020 06.12 by scarletsmummy

You do not mention what topical steroid you have been prescribed, I have been on steroid lotions and potions for the best part of 30 years ,It is now for the first time under control and only have to use the cream when it flares up or i feel a dry patch somewhere.If you can a lot of patches i would use the cream until it goes

Posted Fri 1 May 2020 06.21 by psoriasislivin (edited Fri 1 May 2020 06.24 by psoriasislivin)

I am currently on 3rd round of betamethasone cream. I did notice significant improvement my last round. However, 2 weeks of a break (according to my derm's instruction) was too long for me, therefore my p flares up again in old and new parts of my body (there were some spots that were still red, but clearly have improved, majority of other spots have gone with light tint of pink).

Posted Fri 1 May 2020 06.35 by horace77

Steroids can be strong and you really should be asking your GP this question. My GP told me only to use it for a short amount of time but we all are different with different types of steroid cream and different psoriasis ! Have you tried phototherapy? You may need to attend a clinic unless you are rich enough to buy a machine

To take part, sign in or register with us