Recently diagnosed with arthritis

Posted Sun 10 May 2020 00.44 by Mollyd2003

Hi, I’ve recently found this forum and I thought I’d introduce myself. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in February just before I turned 17. I was a dancer up until November last year, I began to get pain and stiffness in my right knee but didn’t take a lot of notice as I thought I had just injured it whilst dancing. I was then doing my show in November when my knee gave way whilst on stage which is when I went to a&e and was told that it was muscle damage and within a few week of rest it should heal. However it did not, so I then went to my doctor who referred me too rheumatology and I got an appointment within a few weeks and they diagnosed me straight away especially as both sides of my family suffer with psoriasis. It has really affected me as it was so unexpected, just before I got diagnosed my left knee and right ankle also started to swell and got very painful becoming worse than my right knee, they started me on sulfasalazine which didn’t agree with me at all, so I wasn’t on any medication for around a month but in the mean time I had steroid injections into both of my knees which were like a miracle the pain and swelling improved so much within a few days, but obviously these only last for a few months... I have since been put on methotrexate which is now starting to work and is improving the swelling. I haven’t yet found anyone who has it that is around my age as I think talking to someone with it who is younger would help massively as my friends don’t really understand it as they are not in my situation. It has also been worse since being in lockdown as I have been less active so my joints are therefore very stiff. I have good and bad days, I also get worried how it will affect me later in life as I am in my first year at college and have struggled quite a bit as it is a very practical course however they have been very helpful and supporting me as much as they can, especially as some days I just don’t feel motivated to do any work. I was just wondering what age other people were diagnosed with it? How it has effected them? What medication they are on?

Posted Sun 10 May 2020 22.35 by Tish87

Hi Molly! I’m quite new to the forum as well and I just wanted to say hi and that I’m sorry that u got psoriatic arthritis so young but it must be a silver lining that they have recognised it so quick and got u on medication to help reduce the progression of the disease :) I’m not as young as u but it’s always good to have someone to talk to when ur sore and need to vent so ur more than welcome to message me. I know it’s hard these days with lockdown etc but try to manage ur symptoms as best possible and hopefully things start to improve soon! I was diagnosed at 31 after struggling with pain for about 2 years, it was actually a podiatrist that figured it out rather than a doctor. It all started happening within a few months of me having my first child but once I was finally diagnosed, rheumatology gave me the steroid injection (which I took an allergic reaction to lol) and sulfasalazine. I was doing well on the medication but had also started trying to have another baby and it was taking longer than it had first time round. I came off the medication due to a small infection and low and behold i became pregnant that same month so I decided that I would try to stay off the meds through the pregnancy. Luckily arthritis can improve during pregnancy and I had very little pain but was warned I would have a big flare up after giving birth but I planned to go straight back on the medication so didn’t mind. Fast forward to feb 2020, I had my sweet little boy and after a few weeks my symptoms started to return with a vengeance! Downside is that due to COVID-19 they dont want to restart me on the medication and weaken my immune system so I’m incredibly sore and swollen and trying to manage looking after a toddler and newborn with only cocodamol and naproxen which only slightly take the edge off the pain and so far has done nothing for the swelling of my toes and fingers! Sorry for such a long message but we are here for u when u need to take :)

Posted Tue 19 May 2020 02.49 by Blessed

Hi Molly., I am 53 and I was diagnosed with postular psoarisis when I turned 51yrs and I understand you. I dont have pains and its come and go. Treating it is a trial and error until. I took herbal supplememts which I believe helped not to flare up for almost 2 years but as I have said its come and go. I change my eating lifestyle but its really hard. Its not good on cold weather .. Right now it began to flare up again and really its a diff stage thats hard to understand. But I am being positive as not to stress which is a factor also to worsen it. I am just using tropical sprays prescribed by dr. As much as possible I avoid taking too much meds as I have heart issues as well. I am taking probiotic supplememts and drinking juice combination of kale, berries n yougurt . Wish you well and most importamt is prayers.. God bless !

Posted Wed 3 Jun 2020 11.22 by elaena

Hi Molly, Im 51 and sadly only got diagnosed at 50. Its great you got diagnosed so young, as I got psoriasis at 5 and started having symptoms of psoriatic arthritis at 10, but was never told about psoriatic arthritis until last year. I like you am ... was a ballet dancer. I was classicaly trained from 5 with weekly classes upto 17 then resumed weekly classes at 23 after I had my son. I kept on having problems... feet burning, bad back, I was told it was the dancing and to just stop so kept on having stops and starts, then around 27 I began lessons 3 times a week at pineapple studios, at 29 I was ready to start auditions I was in the best shape of my life, I knew it was too late to be a prima ballerina but I just wanted to dance onstage for a couple of years. Then in class something crunched in my knee, went to doctor was told it was in my head, I became bed ridden wrote to loads of hospitals, finally after a year and all my muscle gone a doctor contacted me and said he knew I tore a cartialage in my knee, the surgeon was shocked at my muscle wastage for someone so young, sadly I had to have a 3 hour operation, which my surgeon said should have been 15 minutes but I had damaged it alot by leaving it so long...I never danced again, the doctors told me I could but I hit rock bottom, I felt so betrayed.. Also I had 3 miscarriages after my son, they did tests but found nothing wrong with my body.. I am also a classically trained pianist started at 5 with weekly lessons stopped at 17 also when left home due to physical abuse.... I know its hard for you not to have friends that can empathise with you, but you should know that even at 50 this is the same, none of my friends are crippled like me.... But it truly is a gift you learning so early you have this disease. I have discovered in the last year, that psoriatic arthritis can cause ligament inflammation which can contribute to miscariages, and torn cartilage, so being mindful of this can be so helpful, if you do want kids in the future, I would suggest to take it really easy, do not pick up anything heavy, and stop any strenuous dancing. With the dancing, make sure you warm up extra longer than normal, Look into your diet, extra vitamins and mineral rich food is a must for your bones and ligaments. I wish you much love, and hope you can enjoy a full dancing career, Best wishes xXx

Posted Thu 4 Jun 2020 18.59 by emmatthews

Hi Molly, I am 21 years old and have been suffering with psoriasis since I was about 16, but it has worsened in the last 18 months. Over the past year I started with symptoms of psoriatic arthritis in my hands which to begin with was both of my baby fingers, it was extremely painful to the point I couldn’t clench my first or grab things properly, or even hold my phone. These symptoms soon spread to my hips and feet which was extremely frustrating as it affected the amount of time I was able to walk or stand. It began to ease slightly but over the last 2 months during lockdown my hands have flared up again in my knuckles and fingers which is extremely painful especially in a morning, and I worry about the long term affects too being young like yourself. I am hoping to get an appointment with rheumatology soon, as it is important for help to begin early on to prevent damage. Take positives from the fact that you have been diagnosed so early and that you can get the help you need to prevent further damage. It is rubbish, especially during lockdown and feeling that friends don’t understand, but there is help out there and I am an example that there are other young people experiencing the same as you!!! If you ever need to talk, I am here :) All my love and best wishes to you xxx

Posted Tue 9 Jun 2020 12.28 by CJ

Hi Molly, Sorry to hear you have found you have arthritis. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis when I was 19 whist in collage. It started with stiffness in my hands and then I could barely walk with the pain in my feet. I got sent to hospital and was instantly diagnosed. I totally understand the feeling of being the only one. I had very supportive friends but none of them really understood what it was like. I'm now 40. I did finish collage and hold down quite physical jobs once I worked out how to live with it. I know it would be nice to hear from someone more your age, but I just wanted to say It will be ok once you work out what works for you. Finding exercise to keep you moving really helps (I like low impact strengthening classes like Pilates and spinning). Stay positive if you can. More than happy to answer any questions, Carla x

To take part, sign in or register with us