Sunlight/warm climates helping psoriasis?

Posted Mon 18 May 2020 22.51 by travelbug

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just wondered if anyone had a similar experience to me. I'm in my early twenties and have been suffering with scalp psoriasis for the last 3 years or so. I have found that Capasal shampoo has been effective in helping control, but not cure the prevalence of flakes. I recently travelled around Southeast Asia and was there for 9 weeks. My medicated shampoo unfortunately leaked whilst I was there, so I had no option but to purchase a bog-standard L'Oreal shampoo. To my amazement, it did not cause my scalp did not flare up with it at all (unlike most other shampoos), and whilst I was there my scalp was the best it has been in years. I unfortunately ran out of this shampoo as I was about to fly home so haven't used it since. My question is this: has anyone else found that their condition improved after spending a significant amount of time in a sunny warm climate? Did it come back with a vengeance when you came home? I've been home for 2 months now and ever since I have my scalp has been horrific and I am now suffering with psoriasis patches on my forehead, eyebrows and either side of my nose. I am at my wits-end with it and find it really affecting my self-confidence. Thank you in advance.

Posted Tue 19 May 2020 05.47 by scarletsmummy

HI and welcome , i am sorry you are suffering with scalp psoriasis which i have had for over 30 years and i know how irritating it can be . I have tried various treatments over the years including light therapy (PUVA) and various steroid and topical ointments I too love to travel and would normally travel 3/4 times a year to sunny climes to soak up the sun but unfortunately even the sun for me did nothing ,the only relief i would get was a coal tar based ointment called Cocois which you rub into your scalp and leave in for a couple of hours and then wash off and i get it from my doctors . I have suffered with my whole scalp for 30 years and have just finished a course of Acitretin which has cleared it ( for now ) but i don't recommend it ,I have lost my eyebrows,eyelashes my hair is falling out I have developed sever muscle disability in my Sciatic joint,it has made my skin sticky ,my nails have crumbled the list of side effects go on and on.Whatever you try please read the labels for side effects and i hope you find some relief. Jean

Posted Fri 12 Jun 2020 11.45 by ZLemons

Hi, I'm in my mid 20s and suffer with psoriasis all over my body and scalp. I usually plan a holiday around a flare up (as much as you can plan for that) so that I can clear it up in the sun. Sun is the only thing that helps my psoriasis and will usually clear it up for around 6 months, until the next flare up. Not being able to travel is really frustrating at the moment as I'm having a really bad flare up and could do with a week of sun!

Posted Wed 24 Jun 2020 22.38 by Rorschach

Vitamin D from sun exposure is known is benefit Psoriasis

To take part, sign in or register with us