sun triggering guttate psoriasis?

Posted Thu 21 May 2020 17.05 by chloe

Hi, I want to know if anyone else has found that excessively being in the sun has triggered psoriasis? About 5 years ago I went on two holidays one after the other which meant I was in the sun for about a month, which my skin and body is obviously not used to (living in the UK). About a month later i developed guttate psoriasis, i managed it for a year and then it completely went away. Fast forward to last summer and i went away to spain for 5 days in the sun, a month later i developed guttate again and I'm still battling with it. Its the only thing i can think of that might trigger it, as i definitely didn't experience strep throat which is a known trigger. However, during the 5 years i have been on holiday and sat out in the sun so why last year did those 5 days away trigger it again? I just wondered if anyone else has experienced psoriasis triggered by the sun or could it be something else? Almost a year later i still have some slight patches and have been managing with steroid creams but i'm reluctant to use them anymore as i have saw some horror stories of people with topical steroid withdrawal. What natural remedies do people suggest?? Thanks :)

Posted Fri 22 May 2020 12.25 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Chloe, I have always found that exposure to sun has helped my psoriasis, plaque and guttate. However, you MUST avoid any burning. Sunburn is a common trigger/irritant to psoriasis. Were you diagnosed with guttate psoriasis by a doctor or dermatologist? I developed guttate a few years ago, apparently in response to the trauma of a hip replacement (I have had plaque ps since 1980) My gp advised that guttate psoriasis often disappears after approx 6 months - mine started fading after about 5-6 months and disappeared totally by 8 months.

Posted Fri 22 May 2020 13.23 by chloe

Yes, same with me, the sun actually helps to manage the outbreak, but i definitely think sunburn has been the main trigger, as there's nothing else i can think of that might have caused it. I had my guttate psoriasis diagnosed by a doctor and then a dermatologist, but by the time I saw a derm it had mostly cleared up and he just told me to come back if it flared up again in 6 months and it didn't - but 5 years later it has. The first time around, it lasted for about a year and then completely cleared. It's been about 11 month's since my flare up last year and i have a few spots on my back which im managing with steroid cream. I do think it will clear like it did last time, but I was under the impression that guttate is not chronic so I'm confused as to why it's flared up again all these years later. I would like to see a derm again about it but feel like i have left it too late again and honestly couldn't be bothered with the hassle so have managed just by going to a GP and getting steroid cream, but i know this isn't a sustainable way to deal with it.

Posted Wed 27 May 2020 17.26 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Chloe, when my guttate psoriasis suddenly appeared, apparently from nowhere, my GP told me that it is often associated with a throat infection (which I have read in many sources) even if there are no obvious symptoms of a sore throat. But he also said it can be associated with a general trauma to the body, and it is symptomatic of the immune system sort of "over reacting". In my case I had just had a total hip replacement 6 weeks before the first few spots appeared, by about 8 weeks I was covered all over my torso and my scalp was flaking like mad. My GP is in his early -mid forties I would estimate, and seems well informed on many topics and always takes time to explain things to me. He also told me that often, or generally, guttate psoriasis related to a trauma will clear up after around 6 months. He gave me a 1-week course of antibiotics just in case I did have a low-level infection that had caused it, but it did not make any difference. In my case it started to abate after 5-6 months and was completely gone by the 8 month milestone, and I am just left with a few patches of my pre-existing plaque psoriasis. In my case I opted not to use steroid , as there were so many small spots I could not see it was feasible to treat each spot, it would have taken hours, and I did not want to slather the steroid all over the good skin as well. Also I live alone I so could not treat my back anyway. I used exorex coal-tar lotion, and a lotion called psoriderm, morning and evening on the areas I could reach. in the evening I also took a warm (not hot) bath with "Oilatum plus" bath oil - that helped reduce the itching on my back before going to sleep. And generally during the day I applied emollient as often as I could (Doublebase Dayleve Gel was the best I found). I wish you good luck!

Posted Sat 30 May 2020 09.24 by showsurfer

Hi Chloe, I have plaque psoriasis which definitely gets worse with sun exposure.

To take part, sign in or register with us