Scalp psoriasis - any treatment recommendations?

Posted Tue 26 May 2020 23.28 by Kirst86

I have suffered from scalp psoriasis for years and nothing seems to help the flaking and itching. Has anyone tried any shampoos/treatments that help their condition? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Posted Wed 27 May 2020 05.25 by horace77

I never suffered a skon condition until aged 73 I had a triple heart bypass and they prescribed me medication. I began to suffer skin problems on my hands arms and legs. No one had any answers only creams. One day a junior hospital ``doctor told me it was psoriasis cuased by the bisoprolol I was taking ,whereas a new GP said it was excema. After 3 years I was taken off the bisoprolol and my skin condition began to disappear. To my mind this pointed to a blood condition (limked to bisprolol, a beta blocker, and suggests medics need to test our blood for its condition. It is interesting that the head get the lions share of our blood! I still itch on occasions but I am a lot better. I know this is not a direct answer but we need to help ourselves, Doctors have limitations. Microbiologists are the real experts.

Posted Wed 27 May 2020 05.43 by scarletsmummy

I like have suffered from psoriasis for 35 years and my scalp is the most unmanageable , the only shampoo i have ever found eased is a little was Etrivex , its a steroid shampoo you rub the shampoo into your scalp 30 minutes before washing it this enables the shampoo to soak into the plaques , you then wet as normal and lather and wash off. It is only available from my Doctor here in the UK but has been the only thing that has ever worked .I have also used Cocois ointment which is a coal tar based cream you rub into your skin leave it a while ( i used to leave overnight ) you can then comb some of the scales off before shampooing .I have since been on a course of Acitretin which has cleared my psoriasis , BUT i would not recommend it to anyone is has far too many really bad side effects ... Good luck and hope you find some ease in this awful condition

Posted Wed 27 May 2020 07.22 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Fortunately, I don't currently suffer much with scalp P. When I did have a flare up betnovate scalp application really helped. I also shampood with polytar liquid. Many years ago as part of in patient treatment I was given coconut compound ointment and that really helped. I used it at home for years afterwards, it was a very oily based treatment and had to be kept in the fridge as it would liquify. There are probably other coconut based treatments now. Good luck.

Posted Thu 28 May 2020 13.09 by OhNo_NotAgain?

There is a coconut+coal tar treatment still prescribed for the scalp and available off-prescription, called Cocois (or Sebco).

Posted Sat 30 May 2020 19.53 by Steve h

I recently changed doctors and he recommended a shampoo called Capasal that he uses as he has Psoriasis. So far it has worked very well at keeping it in check and when I have a flare up I use Bettamousse foam which clears it very quickly.

Posted Sun 31 May 2020 00.48 by ngu

Hi, new member here, and hope this may help. I'm sure it won't help everyone but it really helped me. My problem started off with a slight itch which turned eventually in a dreadful 3 years of scalp psoriasis . After numerous visits to my GP and treatments including Benovate ,coal tar treatments ,Organic hair lotions, I got to the point where I didn't know what to do next. My GP basically said he thought it was a stress related issue and I should consider changing my job to something less stressful. Easier said than done. I continued to try almost every lotion around. Walking around that well known Boots I found the product that works for me Clinically Proven Solutions by Head and Shoulders . On the bottle it says for dandruff or anti itch use. In short I tried it ,it worked and very quickly cleared my problem, no more thick plaques ,scratching and hair falling out. I was a bit sceptical at first ,having tried I think all H & S other products, I also use a coconut water conditioner after the shampoo. Years of misery gone. Hope it helps.

Posted Sun 31 May 2020 03.20 by AJF1867

Elocon scalp lotion used to work best for me.

Posted Sat 6 Jun 2020 01.02 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi all, I use a coconut oil most nights to keep the thick scale down (any old supermarket coconut oil will do, i even used to use olive oil). Rub into scalp patches (I cover whole scalp), wrap hair in cling film and go to bed. (You do get used to it very quickly!). One shampoo with something like Capasal in the morning and it washes out. Not an attractive bedtime look, but its an old routine I've used on and off for 20+ years. It definitely relieves the feeling that something is constantly squeezing your head for me. It is obviously not a cure but will keep build up down. I cope with the psoriasis (you have to!), but I do struggle with the hair loss I get when really bad. The only time I am ever psoriasis free is when on biologics. The rest of the time its condition management, it never goes. I think with any chronic cases, you have to keep it lubricated as much as possible. Good luck Ps, I cut out nightshade foods, gluten and eat blueberries everyday. I've lost weight but my psoriasis has continued! We are all very different, I just hope you find something that works for you. (Tomatos are 😈. Love them but my skin does not) Xx

Posted Sun 7 Jun 2020 01.04 by Bladesey (edited Sun 7 Jun 2020 01.05 by Bladesey)

I’ve had a combination of chronic plaque and guttate psoriasis for 21 years now...all starting on my scalp when I was 13. I have tried almost all of the medicated/steroid treatments mentioned in previous posts, but the only thing that works for me these days is Body Shop’s Ginger anti dandruff shampoo and conditioner. It is really soothing, smells amazing and I can use it whenever I need to without worrying about greasy residue or odd smells. It also has the seal of approval from my 12 year old daughter, who started suffering with scalp psoriasis earlier this year :-(

To take part, sign in or register with us