Diagnosis delays

Posted Sun 14 Jun 2020 06.58 by Jenn22991

Hi everyone I am struggling to get a diagnosis for psoriatic arthritis. I am absolutely convinced this is what I have but during lockdown getting this diagnosed is near on impossible. I have had a cortisone injection in my finger about six months ago as doctor diagnosed trigger finger, it's now back to how it was before, painful and stiff but not swollen. I have scalp psoriasis which I'm trying new lotion for but isn't responding to that. My knee joint is so stiff and I believe I have a bakers cyst which has in turn invited the arthritis. Now my shoulder blade has started hurting in the same way. I also have an issue where if I get an injury to my skim. It doesn't heal. The scales keep building on top and yet it's not healing underneath. I have some new gel that seems to be working for that. I have been sent to the hospital for what I thought was a scan but was an x-ray of my knee. Unsurprisingly it showed nothing and I'm now waiting for the doctor to call me back to discuss next steps. I have had a blood test for rhumatoid arthritis and gout and came back negative. Can anyone suggest anything I should push for to get a diagnosis? Will an ultrasound show the pa? I feel completely run down and fed up with it all but it seems because I don't have pitted nails the doctor is dismissing PA. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks and sorry for the rambling

Posted Sun 14 Jun 2020 07.31 by toothlady66

Hello It all seems familiar. I have scalp psoriasis and have been having a swollen finger for which I had a steroid injection, My right knee is stiff and my left shoulder also. My blood tests didn’t show anything particular. I’ve had MRI which didn’t show any damage. I don’t have pitted nails but I was pretty sure it’s psa and the Rheumatologist agreed So I think you need to insist or have a second opinion. Good luck

Posted Sun 14 Jun 2020 07.34 by Jenn22991

Thank you that's reassuring to know it's not just me. Did you get referred to a rheumatologist?

Posted Sun 14 Jun 2020 13.16 by toothlady66

Yes I did . Saw him first privately in January as was too long to wait on the NHS . And now I’m seeing him on the NHS. I started methotrexate a month ago and for the last week have been feeling less stiff. I had been having symptoms on/ for over 2 years now . Started with what I thought was tennis elbow. It’s a weird disease as it comes and goes , moves around the body . One morning you wake up feeling not too bad and then 2 hours later you are aching! Hopefully you will get diagnosed soon

Posted Tue 16 Jun 2020 23.38 by HeatherC

Interesting to read all your experiences. I have been referred to a rheumatologist but have no idea how long I will wait to see one. I have had psoriasis for over 20 years and pitted nails for much of that. My feet have ached since January, especially in the morning. My elbow has been sore, like tennis elbow for almost a year and I’m beginning to wonder if my sore hips and lower back aren’t just down to getting older as i have been assuming for several years (I’m in my forties). This morning I got out of bed, walked 5 steps and collapsed. I don’t think I passed out but my legs certainly just went from under me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted Tue 16 Jun 2020 23.39 by HeatherC

I should have said I went to a podiatrist privately and she has said it’s almost definitely PA

To take part, sign in or register with us