11 year old just diagnosed

Posted Tue 10 Feb 2015 18.13 by Pmg1173
Daughter age 11 just diagnosed

Hi. Just joined. My daughter was diagnosed with P last week and has been given Dovobet gel for her scalp forehead and odd lesions on her arms and legs. Have to say has worked amazingly well. Her scalp is smooth and forehead sores almost back to normal colour. My concern is what happens now ? A lot of what I have read seems to indicate that as soon as she stops using it, it will come back with a vengeance! Has anyone used it short term and just needed to moisturise in future or should I prepare her for a long term battle with this ? Any advice optimistic or otherwise would be appreciated Thanks

Posted Tue 10 Feb 2015 23.14 by cris1406 (edited Wed 11 Feb 2015 00.13 by Me)
I have P and P Arthritis. Im 26 and Married. It Has affected me Emotionally, Physically and Intimately. I had to learn how to mourn my lif

Each person is different - Watch her flares. Some can flare with certain food. Or weather. Unfortunately it is a long-term battle. - As a girl The hardest thing for me is my Vaginal and scalp areas. They both Itch like crazy. Don't let her scratch her scalp as it inflames her hair will thin and fall out. Use shampoos for Psoriasis immediately followed by a shampoo with Mint to calm the itchiness and also to get any P shampoo residue out. (not good for hair) I have recently found that using a head and shoulders anti dandruff with it has helped too. Get prescribed Hydrocortisone for vaginal. The ointment I had - when I used on vaginal is would clog my pores and blister and bleed. The Hydrocortisone worked great! ... I Use Clobetosol ointment and when it clears I no longer apply to that area, it doesn't come back with a vengeance but I have found that I will always have another area to use the ointment- I feel like I will never b clear 100%... just comes with the P I guess. Unless you are on Humira treatment.

Posted Thu 18 Feb 2016 23.24 by AnastasiaGrace
I have had psoriasis since i was a baby and i am now 20. It has been hard but i was in remission for 5 years after phototherapy, however it

I think the battle with psoriasis is different for every person depending on what type they have and what triggers they have. I was born with guttate psoriasis but 'flare ups' as a child were always triggered by tonsilitus. This being said it is controllable for me with the dovobet steroid cream, however the more you use you less effective i find it can be as your skin builds resistance. I have found that using it for two days every two weeks keeps my psoriasis under control during a flare up! Additionally, I have the UVB narrowband light treatment which i was not able to have until i turned 14 (i think it was an age thing), i had this treatment for 8 weeks and was then in remission for 5 years which is very lucky as many sufferers never experience this! However I have just started another course of light treatment as tonsilitus has caused a flare up again! :/ My parents pushed my doctors and the hospitals to provide some sort of good treatment such as light therapy as P can effect your quality of life especially growing up as a teenager, im currently 20 and still remember people saying things to me as a child/adolescent along the lines of 'is that a love bite on your neck' 'do your parents know you have that awful rash?' 'you know you can get creams for that right..' 'is it contagious?' Comments like this can be hurtful so as a parent if i had a child with p i would make sure 100% the people at my childs school knew exactly what was going on and could listen out for remarks like these because they arent nice. With all this said, P is horrible to live with but it is managable! You just have to find the treatments that work for her, she might feel like her life is over as im sure most girls do at some point in their teenage years i mean its hard enough without being the girl with the weird skin.. but its not as restricting as people may think. I'm currently studying to be a solicitor, I have friends, I live away from home and I have a boyfriend, so living a normal life is so possible ! I wouldnt worry too much if i were you, the more you stress the more she will stress and stress makes it worse! If you have any specific questions with reguards to treatments i have tried feel free to get in touch! anastasia_grace_@hotmail.co.uk

To take part, sign in or register with us