Tonsillitis triggering guttate?

Posted Thu 16 Jul 2020 23.26 by Katyt234

Hello, I am new to this forum. I hope you are all doing well and managing to keep things under control. I was wondering if anyone else has experience of a severe guttate reaction after having tonsillitis? It’s happened twice now and I really want to put a case forward to request them to take my tonsils out, was hoping that someone else may have had some success? Thank you xx

Posted Sat 18 Jul 2020 08.00 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Katy234: this is quite possible. There is a well known link between strep-throat and guttate psoriasis. I would think tonsilitis could be similarly linked. GPs will sometimes prescribe antibiotics for 1 week when you present with Guttate psoriasis for the first time.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 2020 12.14 by Katyt234

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t have anti biotics either times, maybe that would have helped prevent the guttate flare up 🤔. I have an appointment next week with dermatology so I’ll ask them too. Hope you’re having a good weekend, thanks for your time :)

Posted Sun 26 Jul 2020 01.05 by Rlallsopp90

Hi Katy I'm new to the forum too. I also had my first flare 3 weeks ago from tonsilitis, I was prescribed antibiotics but this hasn't made a difference. I'm about 80% covered. Let us know how you get on at the dermo. I'm still waiting to be seen which may be a couple of months due to the current climate.

Posted Sun 26 Jul 2020 10.49 by Katyt234

Hi, thanks for the reply and I’m sorry you’re suffering also! I’m not sure what you have been prescribed but Enstilar steroid spray does seem to make the most difference if used religiously like you are supposed to. Worked for me last time but not this time. If you haven’t tried that, might be worth asking the docs for it to try? Hope your appointment comes through soon! I have mine next Monday, I’ll let you know what’s been said :)

Posted Tue 28 Jul 2020 09.00 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Incidentally, my GP told me that guttate often subsides after around 6 months. we suspect mine was triggered by a hip replacement - it is often triggered by a trauma to the body. I took a vit-D supplement each day (10ug, not a large dose) and focussed on emollients mainly to control the itching etc. Between 6 and 8 months it did subside and finally go away. Thankfully my plaque psoriasis did not seem to get worse during this time, although my scalp had suddenly developed intense itching and dandruff with no visible lesions or plaques, at the same time as the guttate appeared. That also went away.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 2020 08.04 by Katyt234

Hello everyone, just wanted to give a little update and maybe some hope to some people in the uk with similar issues. The nhs have updated their criteria on tonsillectomy- guttate triggers by tonsillitis is now considered reason enough to remove tonsils! I am waiting for my surgery date and couldn’t be more relieved. Hope everyone is well :)

To take part, sign in or register with us