PsA and Diet

Posted Sun 19 Jul 2020 10.06 by McpBytheSea (edited Fri 7 Oct 2022 12.35 by McpBytheSea )

Having been misdiagnosed by my GP with gout, I finally got answers to my crippling joint pain - ankles, feet, wrists, hands, back (in order of severity) by an amazing osteopath who immediately asked on hearing my symptoms and watching me hobble in whether psoriasis was in my family. My mother had it and my sister has been covered with it since 16 yrs old. I’ve never had the skin problem and seems my PsA has appeared linked to me being menopausal. My osteopath advised a diet - anti-inflammatory but also including no deadly nightshade family, sugar, caffeine and and most surprisingly fish - within 5 days I managed to get out of bed in one movement, no stiffness! Absolutely amazing. I’d been following this diet strictly for a year with almost no symptoms until......I ate sea bass this week and within 90mins I started to feel delirious, my knees buckled and was vomiting, sweating, shaking for 5 hours. Know it wasn’t food poisoning as the others who ate this fish too are all fine. Suspected it may be linked to my PsA and had that proved by the following 3 days having crippling pain in my feet, ankles etc Sorry this is post is sooooo long but I really wanted to highlight to others the definite and extreme link some foods can have on our condition. I don’t find much info about this and am so thankful for finding a miraculous osteopath

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2022 08.50 by Ks

Hi, I’m recently diagnosed and not had any information or treatment as yet. I’m interested in how diet can impact as I am also type 1 diabetic. Did your physio direct you to any specific information or diet? How are you doing now? BW, K

Posted Fri 7 Oct 2022 12.34 by McpBytheSea

Hi K, sorry about your diagnosis…hope isn’t lost! My GP has still been rubbish but the osteopath (made an error in first post with ‘physio’) really did save me. It’s an anti-inflammatory diet and there are ideas online. The main things I’ve cut out and find aggravate it are caffeine, dairy- unless it’s goat’s or sheep’s milk, eggs - though interestingly recent chat with osteopath resulted in me trying duck eggs and they seem fine, fish and sugar, which I don’t completely avoid but limit, having far, far less than the two spoons in the endless coffee and tea I used to drink. I’ve also started taking a turmeric supplement and found my symptoms are much better. Good luck!

To take part, sign in or register with us