Has anyone tried diet to heal psoriasis?

Posted Sat 29 Aug 2020 10.56 by Maorsharif

Hi All, I’m new to this forum after suffering from psoriasis for many years I have recently been reading a book by Adam Enaz on amazon called “how I cured psoriasis with diet” Has anyone tried it, it focuses on treating leaky gut and the author seems to have good results as well as good reviews It would be hard to cut out all those things but i am curious to try!

Posted Sat 29 Aug 2020 16.11 by Asma
Things happen for a reason: Psoriasis makes us look younger afterall ;-)

Hello there, In my experience, reduced-Gluten diet has been helpful. Vitamin D intakes are beneficial too, I think. I hope this helps

Posted Tue 1 Sep 2020 08.31 by Jade1991

There are quite a lot of Instagram accounts about diet too, check out Hannah Sillitoe. I’ve not tried it as it’s such a huge commitment but there are loads of success stories.

1 Posted Tue 1 Sep 2020 15.53 by Bevp

I have just been prescribed Cyclosporin after trying various other treatments including methotrexate and puva light therapy. The difference in a week is unbelieveable

Posted Mon 7 Sep 2020 09.58 by EnTee

I've had psoriasis for 40yrs and last year decided to have a food intolerance test. Showed positive intolerance to yeast, sugar, dairy, mushrooms etc. Also low in a few vitamins and minerals. Changed my diet, took the supplements and without doubt psoriasis is much improved. Stopped eating the 'nightshades' - tomatoes, potatoes, peppers. Definitely worth looking into foods v. psoriasis. I don't know why GPs don't suggest it instead of just keep handing out steriod creams! Had another intolerance test a year later and just positive to dairy and mushrooms. Whilst psoriasis hasn't totally disappeared it is certainly much better. Also, I use Calendula cream for any itching which I find good. Hope this info might help anyone.

Posted Mon 7 Sep 2020 11.42 by Pictish

newbie here to this forum I eat low carb (and when I stick to it) my skin improves (mild psoriasis, elbows, eyebrows, nails) and my joints are less painful, feel less swollen (psoriatic arthritis - GP diagnosed) I can only speak for myself, but cutting out sugar and carbohydrates - bread/potatoes/pasta etc - and identifying carbs and tracking to ensure staying low carb I feel better eating low carb has good reports - see dietdoctor website

1 Posted Wed 4 Nov 2020 09.46 by LukB

Hello, I'm also on a low (almost zero) carb diet since two years. I cut out all wheat and milk products. This was helping reducing psoriasis a lot, last summer it was gone completely. Bit be careful, wheat is in many other products as well, like sauces and marinade. I hope this could help you as well.

Posted Sat 7 Nov 2020 02.27 by LondonWest
Had P on and off for many years 🤗

I went on a low carb diet for a year and my psoriasis increased a lot, no dairy no sugar and mainly eating meat. I lost weight but the psoriasis ran rampant. I’m now back to eating normally and luckily the psoriasis is decreasing. I did read somewhere that the keto diet isn’t good for psoriasis due to its high fat content https://www.news-medical.net/news/20191017/Keto-diet-may-cause-skin-problems.aspx?showform=email

Posted Wed 18 Nov 2020 19.56 by Scott in Toronto

Maorsharif, I hope you've had some positive results by changing your diet. I was able to eliminate almost all of my psoriasis symptoms by cutting down on nightshades, dairy, alcohol, and sugar. I knocked off one thing every month, and it turned out to be easier than I expected. Cutting out sugar was the hardest! I respect that dietary changes won't work for everyone, but they do seem to have helped a lot of people control their psoriasis.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 2023 06.14 by Yazziwazzi

Can anyone help me on how to get rid of psoriatic arthritis please?

1 Posted Fri 17 Mar 2023 20.07 by Mary1968

Hello I see this is an old post from 2020 But yes, I have cleared P with diet. ** Yazziwazzi - You would be better off to start a new thread, than tack your question onto such an old post. You cannot get rid of PA. But you can ease the symptoms. You can try diet and supplements - fish oil is particularly good for arthritis. Infrared saunas and icy plunge pools are gentle for pain management. Failing those, you can get injections.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 2023 16.25 by swanny

Hello, new to this forum, This is a very interesting question, and like everything to do with psoriasis, there are no easy answers. I've suffered from severe psoriasis for nearly 40 years, and in that time I've tried just about every natural remedy and diet going. Sadly, for me, none of them worked, or they had minimal effects. However one thing that worked in the short term was a full detox fast; went on a clean diet (i.e. no sugar, wheat, dairy, caffeine etc.) in the build up, then fasted for 6 days (cleansing the intestines with a 1 litre warm salt-water flush every morning and taking bentonite clay and psylliium husks with water for 'breakfast'. The psoriasis almost disappeared (although I had reduced it significantly with steroid cream beforehand because I couldn't bear the other people on the fast seeing it) after the fast, and I felt incredible. I then went on a 6 month raw food diet in the hope this would allow my body to reset, but to no avail. After a few weeks it came back as bad as ever. But again, at the end of the 6 months I had more energy than I've ever had before. Maybe I needed to stay on the raw food diet for longer, but it's really hard to sustain something like that when you're not seeing any positive results. One thing I know for certain is that something that works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. The same applies to meds. People may be interested to know that when I finally gave in and went on meds (I couldn't live with psoriasis that bad any more), I went through the usual series: methotrexate - horrible experience, didn't affect the psoriasis much, but I could hardly get out of bed. It did get rid of the psoriatic arthritis though. Acitretin - did nothing except make the skin peel off my lips in strips and my face go red. Then I got onto biologics which really worked. First Stelara, about an 80% reduction, but I felt crap all the time. Then Humira - about an 85%-90% reduction, but headaches all the time and then after a while felt like I had mild flu. And then I went on Tremfya, which has been an absolute miracle for me: 99% reduction in psoriasis and after several months, zero side-effects. For the first time in my adult life I experienced what it was like to be 'normal'. I thanks the inventors of it on a daily basis. Good luck with anyone trying a dietary approach, it may well work for some. Anyone who has psoriasis should know that alcohol, coffee, wheat, dairy and sugar are generally really bad for it and best avoided. Especially (sadly) alcohol.

Posted Mon 5 Jun 2023 17.47 by Yacht

Many academic studies show a "bad" diet can worsen psoriasis (e.g. alcohol). But few, if any, studies show a "good" diet can heal psoriasis. Some say a high-blueberry diet might work for some (there is a famous thread on this forum), due maybe to the antioxidant effect. But this is self-reported, and has not been independently tested. Of course, eating a healthful diet is always generally a good idea. Even if it does nothing for the psoriasis, it will keep the rest of the body in better shape than eating (say) junk food.

Posted Mon 5 Jun 2023 22.18 by Mary1968

Maorsharif If you type "Psoriasis and Diet", into PubMed it will bring up 575 responses. If you type "Psoriasis and Supplements", into PubMed it will bring up 421 responses. If you type "Psoriasis and Fasting", into PubMed it will bring up 202 responses. If you type "Lifestyle and Inflammatory Skin Diseases", into PubMed it will bring up 445 responses. A LOT of reading true. But you may find something useful there.

To take part, sign in or register with us