onset of psoriasis

Posted Fri 4 Sep 2020 09.44 by Max

Hi I'm new to this. and wondered if anyone can help me. I am wondering if psoriasis can come on very suddenly. I am elderly and have never had any symptoms all my life. I have been suffering badly with health anxieties and about three months ago got a couple of little white patches which i peeled off and got a res/purple mark which lasted for about a week. I'm worried that it may be psoriasis but didn't think it would just come on when you have never had it before. Not sure if it is all due to stress. Many thanks

Posted Fri 4 Sep 2020 09.52 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Max, psoriasis CAN indeed appear at any time. I suddenly came out in plaque psoriasis on my 22nd birthday, around 20 years ago I scraped my leg on a floorboard, while remoddelling my bathroom, I stood on an unsecured board and slipped through. The graze scabbed over but then turmned into a patch of psoriasis. Around 3 years ago i came out in guttate psoriasis 6 weeks after a total hip replacement, and my Doctor suggested that this form was probably triggered by the physical trauma of the operation . . . it faded after 6-8 months. But what you describe does NOT immediately sound like psoriasis. You really need to see your GP when you can.

Posted Fri 4 Sep 2020 10.26 by Max

Hi Thank you for your reply. You say yours came on when you were 22, but I am a lot older and it does seem strange that it can suddenly appear at such a late stage. The only trigger I could think of is stress, which I have had a lot of. As you say it might not be psoriasis. The marks faded after a short time. I only got them after I had scratched the white patch off. Have you any knowledge of psoriasis starting when you are a pensioner. It says that it usually starts before 35. IMany thanks

Posted Fri 4 Sep 2020 10.36 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Fri 4 Sep 2020 10.36 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Max, the word "usually" means that unusual things can happen of course. I am not a dictor nor dermatologist and I am only in my early 60s. I do not know of other cases particularly. Stress does seem to be a factor in triggering psoriasis. But bear in mind it is not a well understood condition in terms of all causes and there is no definitive cure. As I say, what you describe does not SOUND like psoriasis at all, to me as layman. The Psoriasis Association might be able to tell you more if you cannot get to your GP yet. Contact them: Confidential Helpline: Ring 01604 251 620, email : mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk , 9:00-16:30 Mon-Fri. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us