Advice please

Posted Sun 13 Sep 2020 19.19 by Sarah1791

Hi For the last few years I’ve been having terrible joint problems. It’s currently my shoulder. I cannot lift my arm with the pain. This could suddenly be ok and then be my wrist or hand etc. It feels that my body is attacking my ligaments. It moves around my body. I have had psoriasis for 30 years. I don’t usually see swelling. When I have a flare up I feel unwell and very shivery. I have had an X-ray and blood tests which were all ok. Doctor thinks it could be wear and tear but I know it’s more than that. Anyone else had similar issues? I really don’t want it to be PA but I can’t carry on like this. Really need to get to the bottom of it. Thanks Sarah

Posted Mon 14 Sep 2020 08.59 by Mausie

Hi Sarah - I'm at the beginning of my diagnosis and it could be PsA although not sure. However, whatever it is has been caught early by using Doppler Ultrasound Scan. It is often used on asymptomatic joints (it was a surprise when they scanned my wrists as I'd never had a problem there, I do now). It has its limitations as inflammation can come and go and if there isn't any inflammation on that day then it might not get picked up, but after all the reading I have done it does seem that it is the one of the best diagnostic tools. I didn't ask for it as I didn't know anything about it but with my aches and pains I was very persistent and was referred twice to rheumatology and demanded physio! So my advice is to be ask for Doppler ultrasound. Hope that helps.

Posted Mon 14 Sep 2020 09.02 by Mausie

Forgot to say - the brief description of your pains especially the shoulder thing: yep, sounds exactly like me and more. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us