Dry or moisture- new to this , help!

Posted Thu 29 Oct 2020 20.13 by Duncan

I have recently been diagnosed with inverse psoriasis. It’s pain like I have never experienced before (I know many of you will already know this). I have been prescribed different steroid creams and I am back to see my dermatologist for the 5th time in 12 weeks next week. But here is a question that I stupidly forgot to ask him - Is the aim to keep the skin moist or to dry it out? I cannot work out whether all the moisture that the creams (and indeed moisturisers give) is a good thing or if the intense heat (the pain is in my groin) that leads to moisture and thus stickiness and the huge itching is polar opposite of what I should be going for - dryness ?? It may be specific to this part of the body ?? And should I shower or bath for only 5 mins ?? That’s what I have been told . All advice welcome .

Posted Fri 30 Oct 2020 05.57 by Annette

Why don’t you ring your dermi up or ask his secretary to ask him the question . X

Posted Sun 1 Nov 2020 11.43 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 2 Nov 2020 13.29 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I would agree with the reply from Annette. My PERSONAL experience with inverse psoriasis in my groin, is that trimovate ointment (from my doctor) was the best treatment to address it. I seemed to get flare-ups of what initially looked like a fungal infection, but did not respond completely to only an antifungal treatment. After I shower I dry my groin (and between my toes) with paper-towel (kitchen roll) rather than a towel, so that if there is any fungal aspect I am not going to spread it with my towel (if travelling for work, I might be in a hotel and then I make use of the hair-dryer). I then apply the trimovate and try to make sure it is well absorbed. Then I apply an anti-fungal powder to try and keep the groin dry - to inhibit any fungal element. Once it clears, I keep the same regime of using kitchen roll, and I apply anti-fungal powder after every shower. When I did not use the powder, I would get recurrance of the rash every 4-5 weeks. Using the powder, I have not had a recurrance for over 6 months. My feeling is that generally keeping the groin dry is important.

Posted Wed 25 Nov 2020 17.44 by Tralalal02

What is inverse psoriasis? Thank you Never heard of before

To take part, sign in or register with us