Remission

Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 06.11 by Kevin Adams

Morning Everybody, I’ve had psoriasis for fifty years and quite severe too. However, amazingly, for the last three years I’ve had none at all - complete remission. I have no idea what’s caused it. Does anybody else have a similar experience? If so, it seems to me, that we should get some research done to figure out what happened to me and then help everybody else.

Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 08.23 by SharonG

That's Great News :) Happy Days for you :) - now we need to know your secret? when you find out what it is lol

Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 09.16 by Kevin Adams

I agree. That’s why I’m reaching out to everybody on this forum to see if there is anybody else who is in remission after having psoriasis for a number of years? If we can find something that all us remission-people have in common that might point the way to alleviating, or even curing, psoriasis.

Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 13.17 by Tulip

Prior to remission did you have any medical interventions? I appeared to trigger remission after wisdom tooth removal. And someone else on this site had remission after appendix removal. I have a theory these ops may have triggered the vagus nerve and righted something.

Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 15.25 by Kevin Adams

Hi Tulip, I’ve now looked up the vagus nerve on Goggle and so have a vague understanding of it. Alas, I’ve had no medical work done on me at all. So, that theory doesn’t fit - at least for me anyway. How severe, or not was your psoriasis? And, are you in full remission?

Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 16.03 by Tulip

For me the issue was more with arthritis. And the effect was immediate as I walked out the dentist.

Posted Mon 16 Nov 2020 10.34 by Tinker

Hi Kevin I've had psoriasis for over 50 years, in different forms. Sometimes it just clears up on its own, but my experience of it being "in remission" is as follows: Skin (apart from scalp) - first remission after living in South of France for 5 months and doing a lot of sunbathing.. Skin (apart from scalp) - second remission after UVB treatment. Arthritis - first pain remission after moving to South of France. Arthritis - second pain remission after starting intermittent fasting - this is primarily how I now manage it, but with age it will only get worse. Arthritis - third pain remission after reducing alcohol intake. Hope that helps.

Posted Mon 16 Nov 2020 11.35 by Kevin Adams

Interesting, Tinker. I completely agree with you findings that strong sun is most beneficial. It clears it up for months, at least that’s my experience too. Sorry to hear about your arthritis. And I’m glad you can manage it by fasting. When it clears up on its own, what has been the longest period of remission? The five months in the SoF?

Posted Mon 16 Nov 2020 15.46 by Tinker

Hi Kevin. Yes, probably the time in the SoF. I think I maybe had clear skin after that for a few years, except for the scalp. For me, it's linked to stress. The SoF time was followed by a calm period of life. All types of psoriasis got worse with a move to London and a job to which I wasn't suited - guttate has returned recently, nail psoriasis has improved over the past few years. I also wonder if hormonal change and/or aging has a part to play - perhaps as we get older our skin regeneration slows down, and psoriasis plaques, as I understand it, are skin growing too fast because of immune system (I'm not a scientist and have never asked a doctor or dermatologist about this). For other background, I've not used any medication since I moved away from home at 18 and my new GP scared the sh*t out of me by showing me photos of damage caused to skin by Betnovate, which I'd been using since age 6. When I asked for UVB the dermatologist offered a drug alternative, Methotrexate, I think, but I preferred to manage with less sunshine and another UVB dose after about 10 years (dermatologist warned of skin cancer if more regular than that). Basically, after 50 years experience of various doctors and even trying a ridiculous homeopathic consultation, lots of reading about how psoriasis works (I used to work in a medical library), I know there's no cure, only management.

Posted Mon 16 Nov 2020 17.55 by Tulip

Tinker that’s interesting that you say possibly just getting older might help due to less skin generation. I too wondered if this could be the case for some people. I read somewhere on a forum that someone was told by their doctor that the diseases sometimes “burns itself out as you get older” but I have never read anything anywhere else to confirm this. It would be nice to think that might happen if you are lucky !

Posted Tue 17 Nov 2020 04.51 by Kevin Adams

Dear Tinker and Tulip, Now we’re getting somewhere. I’m certainly older (64), so perhaps that’s why I’m in remission. Has anybody else heard of psoriasis burning itself out as they get older? If so, that’s the potential reason. Now we need to know why it burns itself out. Perhaps, as you suggest, it’s down to skin regeneration.

Posted Tue 17 Nov 2020 04.53 by Kevin Adams

Re-reading Tinker reminded me of a New York dermatologist who I saw in my 20s/30s who when I told him that sunbathing helped me dramatically, said so carry on. Worry about skin cancer in your 60s. So, I did and do.

To take part, sign in or register with us