Reminiscing old treaments

Posted Wed 18 Nov 2020 17.17 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

I was thinking today about when I first developed P back in the 80s as a teenager. I suppose like many we start with a few spots here or there. For those lucky enough that is as far as it goes and can manage with cream or ointment. So in the space of 18 months from starting with P, I could not manage with creams and ended up hospitalised. This was quite a scary occasion as a teenager as an in patient in a major city hospital away from my home town. So the days went something like. Start of with a tar bath light treatment Apply an awful product called dithranol and wrap yourself up in bandage type material. Wait for a number of hours then wash off the dithranol with liquid parrafin, then another bath. At night rub in coconut compound ointment into the scalp and then sleep. The above would be repeated daily for about 3 to 4 weeks. As ones P improved the stenth of the dithranol and time under light would be increased. So after the 4 weeks or so my skin would be clear again apart from the stain marks where it was treated, these would fade in time. The downside was this was only a temporary clearance measure and not a cure, as we all know there is no cure. I ended up in hospital a further two times in the space of the next year both for a month. Being a teaching hospital, I would have to show my P to numerous student doctors being shadowed by the consultant, I suppose they have to learn from real cases rather than text books. Anyone watched the singing detective will get the feel what it was like😉 Anyway although I was scared at the time, apart from missing my friends and family this wasn't a bad experience in my life. There were a few in the same boat and sort of formed a bond and were happy for each other once we were discharged. Saying that the treatment regime was somewhat primative and I am just glad that treatment methods and meds have moved on so much since then. So has anyone else been through in patient treatment with similar or other old style treatments and what was your overall feeling about it looking back?

To take part, sign in or register with us