Scalp psoriasis

Posted Mon 23 Nov 2020 06.48 by Patricia

Can anyone suggest the best way to take off scalp psoriasis scales? I have thick scaling over most of my scalp, especially at the back of my head. I usually massage in olive oil and leave overnight, then scrape off the next day, but I have notice my hair getting thinner, especially in the front. Help. Patricia

Posted Mon 23 Nov 2020 10.20 by Fran

I also have lots of patches on my scalp and have tried so many creams, oils, prescription medications etc., but nothing seems to reduce the flare up. Recently I have started to take sea buckthorn (Omega 7) capsules in the hope this will help. I am wondering if the current pandemic might be the additional stress that has worsened the condition. I welcome comments from anyone who has succeeded in overcoming this problem.

Posted Sun 6 Dec 2020 13.52 by Rooi

In the last month my scalp has flared up and I am constantly trying to stop myself scratching. I had wondered if the stress of this year was a contributing factor. When it was at its worst before I used to use a fine tooth comb ( a nit comb ) and try and lift the scales off that way. Since the start of the pandemic I had decided not to colour my hair, which I had hoped would help with the psoriasis. Now I know in my case the hair dying process made no difference to my scalp. Thinking back the only time I was absolutely free of it on my whole body was when I was scuba diving. So in my case the salt was very helpful. I am now searching for shampoo with sea salt/ minerals in.

Posted Tue 8 Dec 2020 17.57 by Shazngaz

Can anybody advise me of the best over the counter scalp shampoos or treatments please

Posted Mon 14 Dec 2020 21.11 by Mshirl

I have found coconut oil to be quite helpful. I massage it on my scalp at night to loosen the scales, keep it overnight and wash it off the next morning with my regular shampoo. Have to do this everyday though cause my scalp gets very dry. I avoid scraping the scales off as that irritates my scalp even more and causes hair breakage. This hasn't cured my scalp psoriasis but it's definitely in control, plus coconut oil is good for hair as well. Hope this helps!

Posted Wed 16 Dec 2020 09.10 by Arsenal2020 (edited Wed 16 Dec 2020 09.10 by Arsenal2020)

Hi, I have had scalp psoriasis and am finally starting overcome it. I found out that Etrivex shampoo (prescription), capasal shampoo (over the counter), and cocois ointment (prescription) is very effective. Eteivex I put on prior to showering for 15-20 mins. Capasal I use in the shower as my main shampoo. And then cocois is an ointment and I use this over night 2-3times a week. It is oily and greasy but it does really work and I haven’t noticed any obvious affect on my hair.

Posted Mon 21 Dec 2020 07.51 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Coconut oil can be bought from good chemists. I would apply, wrap scalp in cling film and wash out with alphasyl or capasal in the morning. If your scalp is bad you need to do it every night, don't miss any or it will build up again. I always have a lot of hair loss when really bad because I have to pick, but above does help. It stops the build up x

To take part, sign in or register with us