How I am managing my psoriasis

Posted Wed 25 Nov 2020 17.50 by redzo98 (edited Wed 25 Nov 2020 17.55 by redzo98)

Hey guys, I've had a month of being super careful with my lifestyle + using steroid creams and my skin has been clear for a month now. I know what works for one person doesn't work for everyone but if I could help just one person that would be awesome cus I know how much psoriasis SUCKS! Steroid things: In the morning I have been applying Dovobet gel to my patches on skin (and the few on my scalp) and in the evening I use diprosalic on skin patches (Doc said make sure you use both otherwise they won't be as effective). I also make sure that if I see any sneaky new patches turning up I dab a bit of cream on them - but of course don't apply any cream to smooth/healing skin! Lifestyle changes I have made: - 9 hours of sleep a night minimum. - Very little processed food, no gluten, no refined sugar, no meat, no nightshade veg. - no flour stuff, so no pasta, pizza, bread etc - oily fish 3 times a week with lots of vegetables/beans. - drinking 3l of water a day and having one coffee in the morning - no alcohol or smoking !!!! (this is hard because I'm a student hahaha) - exercise! I try to run 3 times a week and at least do a half hour walk everyday. - I take vitamin D tablets + tablets that have gut bacteria in (not sure what they are called but basically they have loads of bacteria your gut needs to function properly) - trying not to obsess over my skin (I've realised that I used to think about it at least once an hour) So yup, it sounds pretty strict and boring but this really is the best my skin has looked in 4 years and I can now wear a t-shirt in public. I have tried steroids before (and cyclosporine) but I'm wondering if lifestyle change is the way to go..guess we'll see. peace out

Posted Wed 25 Nov 2020 23.21 by Patchhy99

Really nice to hear that your skin is under control!! I'm in the midst of a flare up and see myself spending every spare minute thinking about the condition. Which as a result, probably makes my skin worse. My first encounter with psoriasis was in december of last year. I had been drinking more than ever alongside being a social smoker and just overall living a very unhealthy lifestyle (first year uni student). This what makes me think that lifestyle and diet is such a crucial part in this condition. I have never researched so deeply about something in my life and I am adamant that lifestyle alongside dietary changes can really benefit people with these conditions. I think for your body to be attacking itself and causing the inflammation - something internally has to be out of sync. Whether that be your mental state, hidden allergies, bacterial overgrowth and so many more possibilities. It's very difficult to pinpoint the problem. For example, my nan had suffered with psoriasis for 15 years and had struggled with any medication as her skin was so sensitive.. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago she was diagnosed with anaemia - was prescribed a high dose of folic acid and guess what? her psoriasis has cleared completely. This again makes me think that there must be some underlying issue within the body that makes our bodies attack itself. I think why diet and lifestyle play such a crucial role is that it gives the body the tools to repair and renew itself. if you eat a healthy diet alongside exercising and managing your stress then you are essentially attacking the condition from all fronts. The only problem with doing this is that it's such a long, draining process. People can take weeks, months and years to see benefits and this can be discouraging as the psychological impact it can have is so prevalent in the present and the steroid creams or biologics help the now. But anyway, good luck with the healing and hope that continue to works for you!

Posted Sun 29 Nov 2020 21.33 by Sereice

Hi everyone I wanted to share a good book that is: The healing of psoriasis by Dr pagano It's a strict & boring healthy diet, but in 9 months my psoriasis was gone for 5 years. I let myself go abit & it's back. However Dr pagano believes it is to do with leaky gut syndrome & irraatble bowel syndrome IBS. I have IBS so my advice is make a list from the book of what you like & stick it out. It's a process of illumination at first, then eating bad things is seriously cheating. After a period of 6 months gone have a treat night every so often & watch for any patches. Then don't let yourself go, get back on it. You will learn what is then causing it... Good luck everyone xx

Posted Thu 3 Dec 2020 13.50 by Terry

Glad I’m not alone and all experiences shared very encouraging. Terry

Posted Thu 3 Dec 2020 15.27 by Richardparker

The first treatment I took when I noticed it was topical treatment, using vitamin D analogues or topical corticosteroids. Topical treatments are creams and ointments applied to the skin. If these are not effective, or your condition is more severe, a treatment called phototherapy may be used. Phototherapy involves exposing your skin to certain types of ultraviolet light. In severe cases, where the above treatments are ineffective, systemic treatments may be used. These are oral or injected medicines that work throughout the whole body.

To take part, sign in or register with us