Methotrexate or Ciclosporin

Posted Sat 5 Dec 2020 10.41 by Alex

I have had psoriasis since I was 2 years old so approx 27years now. Tried everything. Nails have started to go bad and now being told to go onto methotrexate or ciclosporin in order to treat an slow down whats happening as they feel I have the start of psoratic arthritis. Really reluctant due to all the side affects that go with any of the tablets or injections. Can anyone help or shed any light on this please or any advice on how you find these ? Thanks in advance.

Posted Sat 5 Dec 2020 19.56 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Alex, I have used Methotrexate (Mtx) and Cyclosporin (Cyclo) for treatment of P. Yes they do have side effects and patients can react differently to these of course. Cyclo is a very strong drug and docs don't like patients on it long term. In my case a few months then mtx was introduced and gradually weened off Cyclo. I saw great improvement within weeks of Cyclo. The main side effects for me on Cyclo were nausea, high blood pressure and tiredness. Mtx I suffered nausea and tiredness.. You will probably have to have a chest x Ray for TB plus regular blood tests. The injectable Mtx is supposed to have less side effects than tablets. For me it was a matter of quality of life and it worked for ten years on Mtx. If these don't work for you then there other meds but the docs like you to at least try and fail before moving onto the next. Good luck.

Posted Sat 5 Dec 2020 22.00 by Alex

thanks for your advice here yes I had them both when I was younger but drs think now my body may react differently to it just very wary of the side effects an long term damage I'll be doing to my body.

Posted Sun 6 Dec 2020 13.39 by scouternorm

My fingernails & toenails were very bad 3 years ago. The dermatologist told me they were dead and to forget about them ever coming back. I was getting prepared to go on methotrexate, but found a marijuana infused resin salve product in Canada (where I live) that was made by MJ Creams. I started using this on just my fingers because the tips were split so bad. I saw a noticeable improvement in about 2 months. Then I was able to get a prescription for medical CBD oil which I applied topically. Within a year, my hands & feet were almost back to normal. I still have the nails on my thumbs & big toes that aren't the greatest, but compared to how I was, it felt like a miracle cure. And there are no medical side effects. See pictures at http://www.normtoogood.ca/psoriasis.htm and decide for yourself. Good luck!

Posted Sun 20 Dec 2020 21.57 by Sammiemet

I had really bad side effects to mtx...fatigue and nausea. I was then moved on to cyclo which did not help my skin. I was then put on biologics which has been a godsend. I believe you have to try both Mtx and cyclo before you are eligible for biologic treatment.

To take part, sign in or register with us