Struggling

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 01.29 by belleluisa

Hi everyone, So I’ve had Plaque Psorasis for 6 years now, my flare ups started off all over my body, and then I had about 2 years in between with it only on my elbows, I now have it on 80% of my body again, and I am struggling with it a lot, I can’t sleep, I can’t wear most of my clothes, and the emotional effects have been horrible too! I have only ever try topical creams and ointments, but my Dermatologist is starting to talk about maybe going on to medications, this is something that I’m worried about as I’ve heard the side effects are horrible, does anybody have any advice for me with regards to this? Or if I should start on medication at all?

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 02.23 by Lel

Hello! Sorry to hear about your situation. Things that have helped me.... Oilatum bath plus. Long soaks. Pat skin. Then diprobase cream until it sinks in. I would only use the steroid creams if I showed signs of infection. Also I would apply the steroid tape on the areas that were painful. That was a game changer for me as I had it on the soles of my feet and could not walk due to the pain. Dietary. Lots of water, lots of fish, tuna etc. Green Leafy salads. Avoiding spicy foods. Red foods such as tomatoes, red peppers etc Daily vitamins. Immune system boosters. Vitamin C. D, Decent probiotics. It is really important to get into daily self care skin routine and to take time out for you to do so. The skin is the largest organ and needs love and care. I wish you all the best.

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 11.34 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

The above are good suggestions but if it comes to the stage of oral or injectable meds then the docs should do the required checks to make sure you are fit to go on the meds. Plus you will have regular blood checks. Sure the meds will have side effects which you may or not suffer in different degrees. Plus you may have to change elements of lifestyle to minimise the effects. Some of these meds it is a matter of trying out, if not for you then they may offer an alternative. I.m.o.. it is a case of quality of life. If the meds give you a better quality of life and you and your docs manage them well, you are benefiting. Good luck.

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 13.31 by belleluisa

Hi Lel and Steview, Thank you for your advice! I will try them and and let you know, I’m due to see my dermatologist again on the 7th of Jan, so I guess he will test me to see if I can take the medications then. I am also trying a gluten free diet in the New Year so it would be interesting to see if that helps :) Thanks again!

To take part, sign in or register with us