Advice needed - what treatments have you tried outside the norm?

Posted Tue 26 Jan 2021 08.55 by ddr305

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just needed to vent. It's been a while since I've felt the need to post on one of these forums because I've had it under control for the last few years but now as always it's started to flare. I currently use diprosalic for most areas, protopic for my face and enstilar foam when I need to get rid of patches quickly. All of these are of course only temporary. They also only stop the scaling, the big red patches are still there and it comes back within a few days of not using them but I don't like to use topical treatments constantly, especially steroid based ones. I've also tried CBD oil and CBD that looked like a tin of vaseline directly on it but they didn't work any better than a normal moisturiser. I've been in touch with my Doctor whose best advice was to use a moisturiser which is irritating to say the least, what do they think I've been doing for the last 19 years?! However I've asked them for a referral to a dermatologist to discuss another treatment of light therapy which is the only thing that seemed to work for me but they're reluctant because they only want to do it for major flare ups which is understandable and I know you can only have so many in your lifetime but for me it's a balance of the physical and mental effect it has. So whilst I'm waiting for my referral have any of you found anything that has helped outside of the normal GP prescribed solutions?

Posted Tue 26 Jan 2021 09.05 by scarletsmummy

I have had Psoriasis for 30 years and over that time i have spent THOUSANDS on so called miracle creams, lotions, potions, pills ,UV lamps ,Sun beds etc etc etc Whilst SOME of these will give relief and seem a miracle in the short term for the long term they do not work , If any of these worked they would be available on the health service as it would save them absolute thousands Everyone is different and some find a relief from some creams more than others the same as any other therapy its trial and error .The Doctors are right about Moisturising though and although its monotonous to keep doing it it does help ,if one Moisturiser irritates you then the doctor should give you something else .One of the things i did purchase that gave some short relief was a cream called Exeskin which i got from the net , its based on Bees so is natural but like all the creams its greasy .Good luck

Posted Mon 8 Feb 2021 17.27 by LenRa
First plaque in 2018

My go-to solutions are coal-tar ointment and coconut oil for daily maintenance. I tried one CBD product but it wasn't especially helpful. That said, there's a thread in this form that goes way more in-depth on the CBD thing and some say it works with the right concentration. The kinda unusual thing I do is to use borax powder and a natural luffa in the shower. This polishes plaques smooth without gouging raw patches like my nails do. The one weird thing I've tried that works is TCA "face peel" acid. Instead of doing a face peel, I mix it weak and apply once a month to non-raw scales. Rinse off after 3-4 minutes under a running tap. (very important not to have any raw places - this can take a focused week of not scratching with nails) The acid takes off the top layer of skin and it stays smooth for a couple weeks after that - less itchy, too. If you have thick patches to tackle, it's a great solution. I use it most on my scaly knee - my first and worst plaque.

To take part, sign in or register with us