Covid Vaccine for Psorasis Patients

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 18.01 by ClarzieR

Hi all I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone could give me some information. I have spoken to my GP and I cannot get a straightforward answer. I am 46 and I have psorasis, psoractic arthritis and psoractic arthropathy as well as Crohns Disease and rheumatoid arthritis (I also have crohns disease) I used to be on Humira and Methotrexate but can no longer tolerate it. My parents have received their invitation to have their vaccine and included in the letter was a leaflet which stated that patients with psorasis will be invited for a vaccination under priority group 6. My GP says this is untrue and he has not heard of patients with psorasis having the vaccine or being in priority group 6. I am in the process of changing GP as I am not getting, what I feel the right support, but that will take a week or so to process. Any one got any advice or experience on this. Thanks 😊

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 20.50 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 13 Feb 2021 20.51 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

ClarzieR: I typed "UK covid vaccine prority groups" into a search engine and immediately found: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-care-home-and-healthcare-settings-posters/covid-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups No mention of psoriasis in group 6 or anywhere. HOWEVER it does mention people on immunosupressant treatments (which I assume might include some psoriasis sufferers.) I have certainly not heard that ALL people with psoriasis are any sort of priority for vaccination. The first reference also references this: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-the-green-book-chapter-14a Table 3 (Page 10) has the only mention of psoriasis in the whole document (took me seconds to find using "search") , in the section covering immunosuppression. So I think my original guess is potentially correct.

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 20.59 by ClarzieR

Thank you for your reply. I've got the leaflet that came with my parents invitation which I took a picture of but cannot post. I have found the leaflet online. Here is the link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ulh.nhs.uk/content/uploads/2020/12/PHE-vaccine-leaflet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjet__s3-fuAhX5QhUIHXapA9IQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw02AAClYVP_hUPGM6A09F2S Apologies if you cannot see it but the information is a bit confusing. This leaflet is going out with all vaccination invites at the moment (my dad's came today)

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 21.47 by OhNo_NotAgain?

If you re-read the leaflet, it does not state that " patients with psorasis will be invited for a vaccination under priority group 6", in such clear terms. It does not mention "priority groups" in those words anywhere in the leaflet. If you read the paragraph at the bottom of page 5 (page 5 is where psoriasis is mentioned) it says "Whether or not you are offered the vaccine may depend on the severity of your condition". The leaflet also says that your second appointment should be in 21 or 28 days, and that has already been changed.

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 21.48 by ClarzieR

Thanks.

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 08.59 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi everyone, try this link, it specifically mentions Psoriasis and we would be under group 6. I have also copy and pasted the list and ** the line with mentions Psoriasis. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-why-you-are-being-asked-to-wait Eligible groups You should have the vaccine when it is offered if you are: living in a care home for older adults a frontline health care worker a frontline social care workera carer working in a care home for older residents Then the vaccine will also be offered in age order to: those aged over 80 years those aged over 75 years those aged over 70 years adults on the NHS shielded patient list those aged over 65 years ***adults under 65 years with long term conditions (see conditions below*) Those aged 50 to 64 will be offered it later. Clinical conditions list: a blood cancer (such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma) diabetes dementia a heart problem a chest complaint or breathing difficulties, including bronchitis, emphysema or severe asthma a kidney disease a liver disease lowered immunity due to disease or treatment (such as HIV infection, steroid medication, chemotherapy or radiotherapy) ***rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or psoriasis* have had an organ transplant had a stroke or a transient ischaemic attack (TIA) a neurological or muscle wasting condition a severe or profound learning disability a problem with your spleen, example sickle cell disease, or you have had your spleen removed are seriously overweight (BMI of 40 and above) are severely mentally ill At the same time as the adults under 65 years with long term conditions the vaccine will also be offered to: adults who provide regular care for an elderly or disabled person younger adults in long stay nursing and residential settings

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 09.06 by ClarzieR

Thank you I had seen that and that info was where I first saw about psorasis patients but my GP has said the priority listing has never mentioned psorasis. To be honest it is very confusing as both leaflets seem to be contradicting themselves 😊

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 22.23 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

It may be that you have to be on an immunosuppressant x

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 12.41 by PsoAdminMod

Hi all, Amber here from the Psoriasis Association. Recently we have received a number of queries from people asking this question. so we contacted Public Health England for clarification. They stated that people with psoriasis will only fall into priority group 6 (Adults aged 16 to 65 years in at at-risk group) for COVID-19 vaccination if they are taking a long term immunosuppressive treatment (i.e. a systemic or biologic medication). People who have a diagnosis of psoriasis but are not taking an immunosuppressive treatment and do not have any other conditions which would put them at higher risk, will not fall into this group and will be contacted about receiving their vaccination based on the same factors as the general population. You can find out more about this here: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/news/psoriasis-and-covid19-vaccine-priority-groups We hope this helps. Best Wishes, Amber, Psoriasis Association

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 12.44 by ClarzieR

Thank you.

Posted Mon 22 Feb 2021 18.03 by southcoast

Hi all, new here on this forum :) I have suffered from Psoriasis for most of my adult life, and have been on Stelara (ustekinumab) for the last 4 years, having started when I was working abroad. Only having moved back to the UK last spring due to the pandemic, my treatment is continuing in the UK however after a discussion with my GP practice, I have been told since I didn't receive a letter to shield last March (when I wasn't in the country) that I am currently not eligible for a covid vaccine, and I haven't been flagged as "in a cohort with priority to vaccinate". The guidance is quite clear for those with psoriasis on immunosuppressants such as a biologic like Stelara to be in group 6, is my GP incorrect? Thanks!

Posted Mon 22 Feb 2021 22.44 by Sizzy

I'd say that's rubbish! I was not on the 'list' even though on Stelara but once I called them I was told to turn up at their vaccine centre. I believe there is a central number you can call where you can go to a vaccine centre run outside of GP centres. You'll need your NHS number I believe. If no luck there, go back to your GP and remind them they have a duty of care and you are immunosuporessed. GP have the ability to add people as they see fit for priority vaccine. Good luck.

Posted Mon 22 Feb 2021 22.54 by southcoast

I'd say so too - I need an appointment with my GP so will ask them then. Feels silly that I'm hearing people below priority 6 have received their vaccine yet immunosuppressed people have not.

Posted Tue 23 Feb 2021 08.02 by Sizzy

I just wanted to add that you would only have got a letter to shield if you take two drugs for your disease. I never got anything from GP but hospital said I should Very Carefully Social Distance. If you were told to shield you would have been in group 4 for the vaccine. If you take one immunosuporessant, you would be in group 6 so your GP staff are misinformed. Please go back to them and explain group 6 are not the shielding group that are extremely linically vulnerable but you are the clinically vulnerable which is group 6!

Posted Tue 23 Feb 2021 16.02 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

The whole issue of shielding letters and who is eligible for the vaccine is confusing and I think it is down to the interpretation of local GPS and health authorities. I doubt for one minute you can just turn up at a vaccine center without an appt or letter from docs or shielding letter. I know the Government a few weeks ago said anyone over a certain age should just come forward and they may get the vaccine but that was to ensure the elderly were vaccinated as a priority. I was fortunate my Wife works in a hospital and staff members were emailed asking to nominate a close relative/household member who met the criteria to book an appt. I have P and on one immunosuppressive med so booked myself in. I was still questioned at the reception then by the nurse giving the vaccine. I had to show proof of the meds I took. I think the vaccine centers don't want to waste any of the vaccines so made use of them for more eligible groups.

To take part, sign in or register with us