Sleepiness and Methotrexate

Posted Wed 3 Mar 2021 23.29 by Skydiver36C
I have psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, sjogren's syndrome, Raynauds, and fibromyalgia.

Has anyone had issues with extreme sleepiness on MTX? Not the normal fatigue I get from my psoriatic arthritis, Sjogren's, and fibromyalgia, but the need to sleep 12 or more hours daily. I have been on methotrexate for about 2 months now. The DR has me dosing 2 pills at night, 2 in the A.M., and 2 more in the P.M. Does anyone take them all at once before bed? Do you have any dosing ideas I can take to my DR?

Posted Thu 4 Mar 2021 10.00 by Summer

Hi Iv been on Methotrexate for 2 years, my rheumatoid DR prescribed once weekly 6 x 2.5 Total 15mg I was also prescribed 3 days after methotrexate Folic Acid 2x 5mg Some days I do feel more tired, i can’t say it’s the tablet? Hopefully you will get more feedback.

Posted Tue 9 Mar 2021 11.53 by JoshCarder
Diagnosed with Psoriasis in 2011. Diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2018.

Hi, I've been on Methotrexate injections for over a year now and I know what you mean. I had really bad "hangovers" the morning after the day I had my injection and, in some cases, this would last for a few days. Its almost like I hadn't slept at all and needed to sleep even more. I told my rheumatologist and he recommended splitting my dose in half - which is what it sounds like you have also done. So now I take one 12.5mg injection in the morning of my methotrexate day, and one in the evening for the total dosage of 25mg. The hangovers still happen but are now far less debilitating for me. If you've already split your dose and that hasn't worked to alleviate your symptoms, you may need to be put on a lower dose.

To take part, sign in or register with us