Struggling with acceptance

Posted Sun 14 Mar 2021 08.37 by PsoLife

First time posting in a place like this. I've had plaque psoriasis on primarily my hands and feet for most of my life, it started to flare up in primary school and I'm 24 now. I've used what feels like 99% of the treatment options available, and every time it starts to improve, and I get more confident, it gets worse again (almost like my body gets used to the medication). I know psoriasis is a part of me, and there are others who have it much worse, but I really struggle with acceptance. I don't really bother with anyone socially other than my family, and avoid interactions with people. If I do have to interact with people, I have to think it over and over on how to avoid them seeing my psoriasis (I've had negative comments in the past). Do you have any tips or advice on getting past this? What I'm using at the moment, if you're interested: Methotrexate tablets, Tremfya injections. Epaderm and DiproSalic ointments, Diprobase cream.

Posted Sun 14 Mar 2021 23.51 by Murphy (edited Sun 14 Mar 2021 23.52 by Murphy)

Ouch, even tremfya isn't working? I'm so sorry... If biologicals aren't working then where are you supposed to turn :(....

Posted Sun 14 Mar 2021 23.58 by Murphy

2nd thought... Do you live in a country where psychotherapy is available? I can imagine that you are at a point where you are psychologically at a point where you are destroying yourself. And P is notoriously stress related...

Posted Tue 16 Mar 2021 10.18 by Northerner21

Hey OP, I remember when my psoriasis spread to my hands, scalp and face (feet too) Mine started on my arms and torso, but when it spread to those areas back in spring 2019 I found it difficult to adjust and became a recluse because I didn't want to be seen in public without my gloves and hat on! I'd get comments all the time "aren't you warm with that hat on?" I'd laugh it off but inside I was hurting not being able to enjoy the spring and summer with a T shirt on. The depression made things worse and like you, I would only see my family who I weren't afraid to hide my condition from as my psoriasis was so severe. In a way the pandemic was a way for me to blend in a bit with my gloves on... It must be awful to have gone through psoriasis at your age, I have a lot of sympathy for you. There is a way for everyone to get this under control somehow, for me it was a mixture of multivitamins and high strength Vitamin D3 (10,000 iu) which I had to buy online because the pharmacy or shops don't sell them, they only sell up to 1000 iu which is no where near enough to reverse a vitamin D deficiency. I've been 99% clear for a few months now and haven't had to change my lifestyle at all or my diet to achieve this. The vitamins and the high strength vitamin d3 have been my miracle. I urge you to get your D3 levels checked. One thing I've noticed, people with psoriasis always complain of winter flare ups, I reckon its because we get even less sunlight around those times. Please keep us updated, there's always someone to turn to on here even if the responses are a little slow. All the best my friend.

Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 12.05 by Wusskat

Hi Northerner21 Where did you get your D3 level checked? My GP seems to have passed all responsibility for my psoriasis management over to my dermatologist who now says I don’t need to see him again unless it develops and gets worse. I sort of feel as though I’m on my own now with loads of tubes of cream and ointment, not really knowing how/when to use or combine them... Thanks Wusskat

Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 14.04 by PsoAdminMod

Hi Wusskat, We're sorry you are feeling unsupported in caring for your psoriasis at the moment. If you would like some information about the treatments you have been prescribed, or advice for managing your psoriasis, our helpline team would be happy to try and help. You can reach us by phone on 01604 251 620, email at mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk or WhatsApp on 07387 716 439. Best Wishes, Amber, Psoriasis Association

Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 15.00 by Wusskat

Thanks Amber I will put an email together. I just need to know when to use these things - for maintenance, when I have a flare up, do I combine them etc? Wusskat

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 13.49 by Northerner21

@Wusskat I didn't have my vitamin D levels checked, I just started taking the supplements and it worked for me. Another poster mentioned to me about a kit you can get from the pharmacy to test at home, but I've no idea if they're reliable or not. Your local GP can check for vitamin d3 levels in your blood. All the best my friend, do let us know how you get on. I pop on here regularly so if you have any questions fire away.

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 20.03 by Wusskat

@Northerner21 Thank you for your reply. I managed to get the vit D3 from Nu U Nutrition so will start those. To be honest my GP has not been supportive so I think a blood test would be out of the question. When I went to see him nearly 2 years ago he put me on antibiotics and then told me I had eczema and to use E45. I had to fight to be referred to a dermatologist by which time I was in a right state. Then I had to wait 5 months for allergy tests which came back negative for everything before they told me it was psoriasis. Thank you for your help - it’s definitely a learning curve!!

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 23.10 by Northerner21

You are welcome, just remember that if the vitamin d3 doesn't help (I'd suggest taking a multivitamin with them too) then do not worry. I say this because at the moment you say you are on methotrexate and biologics which from what I understand work to suppress all of, or part of your malfunctioning immune system. I don't know whether this would conflict with vitamin d3 or not, which helps to restore normal immune system activity. The Vitamin d3 and multivitamins is something you could try again if you ever stop using your current medication. All I can do is share my experience on here, everyone's situations are different, the methotrexate and biologics are serious medications so I would chat with your dermotologist or a doctor (sounds like you should find a new gp) before making any descisions about what you take or do not take. I look forward to hearing from you again and hope this all helps you.

Posted Sat 19 Jun 2021 02.53 by Mary1968 (edited Sat 19 Jun 2021 02.55 by Mary1968)

PsoLife I understand your situation Oh the hindsight of experience - aging does have its advantages. Being 24 with psoriasis can be extremely isolating and depressing I know. I never had much confidence as a teenager, and just put up with nasty comments from strangers. Comments upset me, but I never said anything back. I deeply regret that now. But I grew more confident over the years and if the same thing happened now, I would stick up for myself. I can only suggest doing something - maybe learning a new skill or starting a hobby - that will allow you to gain more confidence in yourself, which in turn will give you more confidence in your daily life living with psoriasis. Given your medication taking, I am not sure if my other suggestion will be suitable, but supplementing with Zinc, Vitamin D3 and Fish Oil (or marine collagen), along with eating an anti-inflammatory diet may help you. It completely cleared me. Cold pressed coconut oil and cold press hemp seed oil, are both great for rubbing on patches (hemp seed oil in particular is well-known for hydrating and healing inflamed skin - you can also take a tablespoon orally too) - they are my preferences over anything artificial Maybe ask at your local library, community center or hospital, for any local support groups too. As speaking to others in similar situations, should build your social group and your can learn from their experiences, and support each other

Posted Sat 19 Jun 2021 03.03 by Mary1968

Northerner21 I got my Vitamin D level checked - doctor said it was fine as was Regardless, I started supplementing daily with Vitamin D3. Plus I took fish oil daily too (which also contains some Vitamin D) Combination was hugely helpful for clearing up psoriasis

To take part, sign in or register with us