Vaccine trigger?

Posted Sun 28 Mar 2021 13.41 by Celvin

I saw this has already been raised but I can’t find it, I recently had the Oxford vaccine and my psoriasis has had a massive flare up! Coincidence, I’m not sure but i wondered if anybody else had a similar story?

Posted Sun 28 Mar 2021 13.49 by Greytop (edited Sun 28 Mar 2021 13.50 by Greytop)

Hello Celvin, Interesting, just to let you know I had never experienced psoriasis in my whole life, in fact I had never heard of it. I had a shingles vaccine almost two years ago and that started it off and I have had it ever since. Naturally the GP told me it was nothing to do with the jab and was a coincidence, but I know better !!!!!!

Posted Sun 28 Mar 2021 13.55 by Celvin

That is really interesting, I’ve had this condition my whole life and always managed it really well with diet etc so this flare up has surprised me. I just hope it will die down again after a few weeks as it’s on my face now too :-(

Posted Sun 28 Mar 2021 22.40 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I had the oxford vaccine 10 days ago and my psoriasis has not increased in the slightest.

Posted Sun 28 Mar 2021 22.49 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Greytop: which shingles vaccine did you receive? Did you report your psoriasis as a possible side-effect of the vaccination, via the yellow-card scheme?

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 07.32 by Celvin

That’s great, I’m pleased you have been ok. I have not heard of this scheme but will look into it today- thanks

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 08.16 by SharonG

I too had the AV end of Feb and my 'P' hasn't been affected either - Blueberries still working for me - I think? So far so good. :)

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 08.28 by Greytop

I told the GP when I visited with all these spots etc, and he diagnosed it as psoriasis, which at the time had never heard of. I explained to the GP about my shingles jab only 10 days before, but he dismissed it out of hand. Our GPs are are worse than useless anyway so it is no surprise he didn't take it further. nor seriously. He only muttered that it was nothing to do with my shingles jab and that it was only a coincidence. I don't know what shingles jab I had but it was at the same surgery. No mention of a yellow card scheme at all.

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 09.17 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 29 Mar 2021 09.18 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Greytop: To be fair to your GP, I have searched extensively online and I cannot find any suggestions that the shingles vaccine can trigger psoriasis - and as a sufferer for 40+ years I have also never hear or read about it anywhere. There are some recommendations for one type of shingles vaccine over another for people already suffering from psoriatic arthritis, or psoriasis and already immuno-compromised. Generally speaking, every time I receive a vaccine, I am given a copy of the patient leaflet or a record of the vaccine, the batch number etc, and I can then find the patient leaflet online. The yellow-card scheme is a UK scheme run by the MHRA: " The Yellow Card scheme run by the MHRA and is the UK system for collecting and monitoring information on safety concerns such as suspected side effects or adverse incidents involving medicines and medical devices. The scheme relies on voluntary reporting of suspected side effects or medical device incidents to be reported by health professionals and the public, including patients, carers and parents. " It has a specific section for coronavirus. I learned about it from a Patient leaflet from a medication many years ago, it was started back in the 60's following on from the Thalidomide disaster. To find about the scheme you can type "UK yellow-card scheme" into an internet search.

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 09.31 by june

Hi,I've had my first Astra Zenica shot in early Feb,and it has not effected my psoriasis,so far so good

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 11.01 by Celvin

I suppose we are all different and not one size fits all, I’m glad that others have been ok though

Posted Mon 29 Mar 2021 13.10 by SharonG

Yellow card scheme see link below. https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Posted Thu 1 Apr 2021 14.43 by yvonne

Hi I did not realise have suffered with psoriasis for years thought my black peeling elbows was normal. Have had a few bouts of itchy spots usually due to the sun. However, I had an itchy rash on upper thighs just before the covid vaccine, I work outside at the covid test centre funnily enough and thought the rash was just a type of heat rash, anyway went for the az jab, my partner said whatever you do dont tell them about your itchy legs. Been covered in horrific rash, itching bleeding from head to foot ever since. Awake tons in the night off work etc. Vaccine was on 16th Feb and although symptoms very slightly easing still covered, was awake on and off last night with stomach area and legs. Have used the yellow card reporting today, it does say on there rash common in 1 in 100 people. I didn't want to tell them before I got the shot as really really wanted it. Now scared to get the top up one. Got Dovobet from nurse, can't see a doctor as guess what due to covid they have no appointments.

Posted Thu 8 Apr 2021 23.34 by Wavey1068

I had the AZ early March and my guttate psoriasis has flared up massively. I'm not on any medication for it.

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 06.59 by Celvin

It does make me wonder if it’s a side effect for some of us- I’m just hoping that it will fade soon, it’s on my face this Time too

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 09.30 by lizziep (edited Fri 9 Apr 2021 09.32 by lizziep)

I am about to have the shingles jab, so was interested in the question about 'which jab', but when I googled it I found 'Zostavax® is the only shingles vaccine used in the UK'. I have also had the AZ first jab with no additional problems.

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 12.37 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Interesting thread. I have suffered P for over 30 years from late teenage years. Anyway my elderly Father suffered shingles late 2020 and has had nerve pain since. He had the Pfizer jab in January and a few weeks later had a rash on his arms. Cut a long story short he saw his GP who gave him various creams and emmolients. Fast forward to present day he is now having patches of P on his back, scalp, face and legs and really needs to see a dermatologist. He has never had P before and I think the trigger was the vaccine but possibly shingles. As an aside I had the Pfizer jab and have have noticed spots on my arms since.

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 19.10 by michelle373
I have had psoriasis for 24 years.

Hi, I'm the same I don't know if it's coincidence but my psoriasis has also flared up, it hasn't been this bad for a while and it doesn't seem to be calming down. I had 1st jab early January and 2nd a couple of weeks ago. I have it all over and my scalp is bad at the moment as well. Hope yours calms down soon.

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 20.47 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

RickMuir, yes I know, strange though he has gone all his life and only just surfaced. Not being able to see him that regular as soon as I saw it I knew it was P. I am encouraging him to get a follow up appt and ask for a refferal to see a derm.

Posted Sun 18 Apr 2021 07.15 by Mimon

I had my first flare up aged 9 following the BCG vaccination, so I am reluctant to get the covid jab. I will sit here to follow the thread, please don't mind me

To take part, sign in or register with us