Methotrexate

Posted Wed 7 Apr 2021 10.09 by Linda

Hi l have just seen my Dermatologist and he is putting me on Methotrexate, what experience have other had on this drug.

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 12.54 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Worked really well for ten years. If you can cope with the side effects and blood tests are OK then worth a try.

Posted Sat 10 Apr 2021 16.46 by charmarr

Hi Linda.I was put on Methotrexate after Cyclosporine stopped working. I take 10mgs per week and it has been working well. As Steview has said you must make sure your GP tests your blood every six weeks for liver function. You also need to take Folic Acid tablets. I hope it works for you.

Posted Sat 10 Apr 2021 20.24 by Linda

Thank you l will see how l go.

Posted Sat 10 Apr 2021 22.15 by CBMan

I was put on Methotrexate by my Rheumatologist who was concerned that I had been on a high dose of Sulfasalazine for a long time. I'm pleased to say that I had none of the side effects that others have described on this forum and the results in terms of my skin psoriasis was excellent. Unfortunately it was not effective against my psoriatic arthritis so after about six months I had to go back on Sulfasalazine.

Posted Sat 29 May 2021 18.55 by Vintage_banana (edited Sat 29 May 2021 18.56 by Vintage_banana)

I have been put on methotrexate twice. First time was a couple of years back and I couldnt cope with the side effects but I was only on folic acid once a week I went back on it in December and was on folic acid six days a week. I was taken off after my routine blood test showed I had covid-19. I start again on Tuesday and I can not wait. I am so sore. I would rather have the methotrexate side effects then be in this much pain. I would take my methotrexate on a Friday so I could sleep through the side effects and be ok for work on Monday. Also I was told to drink plenty of water I was told it helps with the side effects. Dana X

Posted Wed 2 Jun 2021 04.17 by Yacht

Methotrexate is (basically) chemotherapy. Some studies suggest oral methotrexate has just a 9% chance of achieving 90% psoriasis clearance (PASI 90). NHS doctors like it because it is cheap (pennies).

2 Posted Thu 10 Jun 2021 14.52 by andrea
have had p for too many years

I was on 17.5 mg methotrexate for a year and I was clear except for 1 small patch on my leg which refuses to go. It’s worth trying. .

Posted Fri 11 Jun 2021 10.25 by Boo

I’ve been on methotrexate for 2 years for my psoriatic arthritis, I was given two medications to choose from and I decided to go with MTX because I was told it had a chance to also clear my psoriasis. Unfortunately my psoriasis hasn’t cleared at all and in fact it has spread more in the past two years since being on MTX. There are so many negative side effects to MTX and recently I have been thinking of changing to Sulfasalazine as there are less serious side effects. What is everyone else’s experience on this? Thanks Boo

Posted Tue 6 Jul 2021 09.28 by Angry

How much does those drugs cost.in the UK if you go private

To take part, sign in or register with us