Psoriasis in sensitive areas

Posted Sat 1 May 2021 10.54 by wannabewell

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has any help or advice for dealing with psoriasis in sensitive areas. I have had psoriasis for years but as ever it took decades for someone to actually label it as such. Currently my plaque psoriasis knees and elbows is very minimal (hooray) but on the downside, the psoriasis between my buttocks is horrific and also inside one ear. In both areas the skin is split - red and shiny in the sensitive area with a bit of plaque psoriasis thrown in for good measure - in the ear both split, weepy and scaly! Trying to get an appointment with my GP but just wondered if anyone has any advice beyond not wearing tight clothing! Have been using Devonex with no real success. Hampered by Covid - GP reluctant to do in person consultations! Ho hum

Posted Sat 1 May 2021 13.17 by mike andrews

I have the same problem areas. Just keep moisturising. A couple of times I have stopped drinking wine for a month and it goes. But life is too short. Cheers. Mike

Posted Sat 1 May 2021 15.57 by wannabewell

Thanks Mike. Life is definitely too short to give up wine although i only have a cuple or three glasses a week anyway. Will keep on moisturising as you say and try and rouse a gp!

Posted Sat 1 May 2021 16.03 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 1 May 2021 17.40 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

@wannabewell: Dovonex is a vitaminD analogue, and contains no steroid. To kick-start healing or change, you might benefit from something with steroid. Dovonex is calcipotriol. I was prscribed this some years ago, as it was felt it would avoid "steroid rebound" There is an ointment/gel called Dovobet which contains a steroid (betamethasone) but also contains calcipotriol. For me, Dovobet has been very effective. As with all steroids it needs to be used with caution on sensitive skin. I get psoriasis inside and behind my ears, but it spounds to be much less severe than yours. But I use Dovobet for 1-3 days, smearing a VERY thin amount in the ear flaps etc, and it suppresses the psoriasis for a couple of weeks. I also read a tip somewhere for the ears, and I tried it (I forget where it was I read it) . I bought from Boots an "Allergy Relief Nasal Spray" that contains "fluticasone propionate" as the active ingredient. I have found that squirting this inside the ear canal and letting it soak for a while helps a lot to eliminate psoriasis scaling inside the canal. I get psoriasis in my groin, and I use Trimovate for that, it works well for me.

Posted Sat 1 May 2021 17.28 by wannabewell

Thanks i will make a note of those to discus with the elusive gp

1 Posted Sat 1 May 2021 20.08 by Yacht

Not sure I'd be "squirting" nose chemicals in my ear canal. Some very sensitive hairs and sensors in there. Once the ear canal is damaged, there is no turning back. Tinnitus, deafness, etc. On the outside of my ear (NOT inside the canal), Betnovate Scalp Application worked for me. Spot a *tiny* drop on the end of an index finger, then rub around the red parts for 10-30secs. Cleared it in 1-2 weeks, after 5-10 drops, 95% clearance, and has stayed clear for 2 years. For butt (or groin) psoriasis, in my view, only biologics really work. Creams or foams are too strong or too weak (for the thin skin), while UVB / UVA is also too strong. Ixekizumab (Taltz) appears to get good results for the groin or butt, with plenty of pics out there for 90%+ clearance.

1 Posted Sun 2 May 2021 15.12 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Yacht: there is no such thing as a "nose chemical" or an "ear chemical". Certainly using a liquid is almost certainly better than tying to spread a "skin steroid" inside the ear-canal with a cotton bud pushed into the ear-canal. I would expect that psoriasis is already messing with the skin of the External Auditory Canal (we are not trying to get things to past the ear-drum) Fluticasone propionate is also used as an inhaled treatment for asthma. mit is a steroid with anti-inflammatory properties. I decided to check again, use of fluticasone propionate inside the ear canal is supported on several medical websites, and by several MDs. User wanabewell can discuss this with their GP, as planned.

1 Posted Sun 2 May 2021 21.35 by Yacht

There's no way I'm squirting a runny nasal steroid inside my ear canal! If it trickles down, by gravity, to the ear hairs, goodness knows what damage it might do. Better a flaky ear than deafness.

Posted Mon 3 May 2021 20.51 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Just as a little more information for you, the cilia are in the inner-ear and not in the ear canal. Anyway, my GP thought it was a treatment worth trying, and it worked well for me.

Posted Mon 3 May 2021 21.13 by Leigh46
Hello I have had psoriasis for 26 years

IV had it for years in them places only thing is after a shower put diprobase ointment or cream there other wise it will just dry up and itch and that's not good worst thing is scratching in your sleep but cream should stop you doing that it's not good place to have trust me I know . So for inside my ear I put diprobase on finger and put in ear not loads just a dab I use cotton buds to get bits out all the time not good can get ear infections but when it itching I do Don't put steroids in your ear or up your you know what or on bits and bobs

1 Posted Tue 4 May 2021 02.18 by Yacht

The "outer" ear canal runs to the "middle" ear drum and "inner" cochlea hairs. There is no way I am "squirting" runny nose steroid into my ear canal. Ear steroid *drops* optimized for sensitive ears... yes. Big squirty bottle of nose chemicals... no. Melty cream for skin... no.

To take part, sign in or register with us