General questions on psoriasis

Posted Thu 6 May 2021 08.14 by Rob (edited Thu 6 May 2021 08.15 by Rob)

Hi guys, just a couple of questions regarding psoriasis as I have had a flare up out of the blue If a certain food or drink triggers your flare ups, how long after eating/drinking do you get the flare ups? Do any fruits cause your flare ups if so what fruits? Anybody eat fat free Greek yogurt? Does that affect your psoriasis? I've had a flare up of guttate psoriasis after being clear for a few weeks, when I do get the flare ups I use enstillar foam and usually clears it within a few days back to clear skin again. My diet is fairly clean, eating chicken, turkey, veg and rice/sweet potatoes and sometimes oven chips with less that 5%fat, I drink 3 litres of water a day and take, fish oil, vitamin d3, vitamin k2, zinc, multivitamin. I seem.to have started eating abit more fruit than usual mainly red apples and maybe that's the culprit but I'm unsure as they supposed to be part of a psoriasis diet. The only fruits I eat atm are blueberries and strawberries but included apples. I have no gluten or diary intolerances so unsure what is triggering it? Many thanks!

Posted Sun 9 May 2021 22.39 by Yacht

Some "bad" food or drink may flare-up psoriasis (e.g. alcohol). Some "good" food or drink may flare-down psoriasis (e.g. salmon). Lots of websites and books out there on the "psoriasis diet", but seems limited academic evidence (so far) to suggest they prevent or reverse psoriasis. Some say obesity is a psoriasis trigger. Or psoriasis triggers obesity. Again, though, the studies appear mixed, and nobody is quite sure. Some speculate refined sugar or fructose (like an apple) can trigger a psoriasis flare.

Posted Sat 15 May 2021 21.17 by JenJens

I'm going to try eating berries and walnuts to see if that helps, but I'm a bit worried about something. I have a spot on my head, within the patch of psoriasis. It itches, doesn't feel scabby, but when I "have a go at it" it bleeds, lots. I feel so fed up with all this. I posted on the treatment thread about Elocon, that hasn't worked for me. I don't know where to go with it. Trying rosehip for a painful hip and so hoping it's anti-inflammatory properties will help elsewhere.

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 12.29 by Jackie68

I think a lot of this begins in our guts and therefore what we eat is critical in managing the flare ups. I certainly suffer after alcohol or fruit. I am going to try that new probiotic food supplement that has been designed for psoriasis. It isn't launched yet but the company that makes it just finished a consumer study that looks great. The results and the videos from the participants are at axisbiotix.com you can pre-register to get on the list when its released.

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 12.52 by Rob (edited Thu 3 Jun 2021 12.55 by Rob)

I definitely agree with the diet, if I have to much sugar my guttate p flares up, too much dairy is the same. What's this new Pro biotic? I've tried some in the past but never made a difference, only diet worked. Cut out all white refined carbs and switched to whole grains instead and it's helped massively. What fruits seem to trigger your p @jackie68 I eat mango, the 3 melons, water melon, cantaloupe melon and honeydew melon and blueberries ansd these seem to be fine at the moment and had no flare up from those fruits. How long does a flare up take with you after eating/drinking a trigger?

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 13.43 by Jackie68

Apples and anything citrus in particular trigger a flare up for me Rob. The new probiotic product can be seen at axisbiotix.com I spoke to someone who was on the trial and they loved it.

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 22.33 by Yacht

Everyone can view the AxisBiotix "trial results" at the link below. There are patient photos between 6:30 and 7:30 mins. https://www.skinbiotherapeutics.com/positive-data-for-axisbiotix-ps-food-supplement-consumer-study-unveiled/

1 Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 14.34 by Mary1968

Hello Rob Your questions are hard to answer with a definite reply For myself, I have noticed that peanutbutter will cause an almost instantaneous flare, so will cheese. Nightshades (white potato and tomatoes) will take a few days, and wheat will take a few weeks, as will beer. Dairy flares me up badly, so I need to avoid Greek yogurt. I don't have gluten or diary intolerances either officially per se, but they are both very inflammatory, and since psoriasis is an inflammatory condition, it makes sense they would affect negatively Got to be careful with white rice too, but I am fine with brown Sugar is very bad for psoriasis, Some people find fruit flares them. I don't. I eat one or two serves a day, mainly blueberries (low sugar anyway) and papaya as it calms inflammation and is full of antioxidants. I would be more concerned about hidden sugar in processed food or sodas. Reading a lot lately about marine collagen helping with psoriasis. I have it most days, and it certainly doesn't hurt.

To take part, sign in or register with us