Shaving my head because of psoriasis

Posted Fri 7 May 2021 15.51 by •Peachy•

Hey y’all, my name is peach. So I’ve been going through a struggle lately. My hair as of late has been getting bad and I can’t even style it and after I used a product called Generic tea tree shampoo my psoriasis has been flaring up. I’ve used the shampoo before but recently I tried it with a hair mask and my scalp burned, then I I tried to use it with a tar shampoo and it burned. My head is constantly itchy and it gets more inflamed with my anxiety. I’ve been considering shaving my head for a few weeks because I’m not happy with my hair and my psoriasis is killing me. I haven’t used any medicine to help my scalp psoriasis because I didn’t have insurance for a few months. Now that I have the money I can go to a doctor. But it constantly itches. So I’m stuck with either chemically damaged hair or I just shave it off. I’m debating shaving it because I’m a girl and I’m afraid I will look weird and people will make fun of me. I was told my hair isn’t chemically damaged because I never dyed it but I used a lot of products and I see all kinds of splits in my hair even after getting a haircut and I’m just ready for it to be gone so I can get some sun in my head and clear up my psoriasis.

Posted Sat 8 May 2021 10.29 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 8 May 2021 10.30 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

@Peachy, in 1980 I first had plaque psoriasis and selsun shampoo was excellent - BUT it has been reformulated in recent years. When I had a flare-up of guttate ps 3-4 years ago, after 15-20 years of no psoriasis in my scalp , my scalp itching was driving me mad. I tried Selesun again but it did nothing to help (in the 70s it would tarnish a gold ring when you washed your hair and nowadays it does not do anything). I tried almost everything I could find on the market. Alphosyl shampoo was not bad. The best relief I got was from "Alphacade PSO shampoo". A bonus was that it did not dry out my hair much. I even took it to the hairdresser and asked them to use it when they washed my hair. It also smelt pleasant. You need to shop around to compare prices, but i bought it several times from: https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/item-dermatologie-alphacade-shampoo-pso-severe-cases-of-dandruff-200ml/14313.html If you are really desperate, maybe go for a very short "pixie cut" before simply shaving everything (there is no guarantee that shaving would help). Good Luck!

Posted Sun 9 May 2021 23.15 by Yacht

Some folks with scalp psoriasis find a UVB "comb" to work. It zaps the scalp with narrowband-UVB "sunlight" and can gradually clear it over 2-4 months. It needs patience. A lot of patience. Be (very) careful not to burn the skin, it can go red in <10secs. Much Better Skin (MBS) in the UK appears to have a good rep and it sells a handheld comb / wand. Full disclosure: no connections with MBS. Other UVB firms are available. A GP or derm will also be able to help, of course. Good luck.

Posted Tue 11 May 2021 08.20 by •Peachy• (edited Tue 11 May 2021 08.34 by •Peachy•)

I found something that does helps bit but now after having it in my head it’s starting to burn. It’s head and shoulders clinical. Although it’s not as bad as the other products just uncomfortable, I’m gonna have to find something right for my head and that doesn’t burn, I used to use suave and then t/sal on occasion not the best choices in shampoo and I didn’t realize that till I got older. It seems I might still have to cut my hair short or buzz it because of my split ends unfortunately. I realized oil can make psoriasis flare up. I was told tea tree was good for me I used to use tea tree oil on my head it was fine I think I don’t remember but when I tried The brand called “Generic” from Sally’s and tried the tea tree shampoo it was burning when I tried using it after t sal or putting a hair mask in after words. It was so bad in fact that I had to keep rinsing my head about 4 times till it was comfortable for me to fall asleep. I play this weekend to with him to a hairstylist one more time and try getting a shorter cut and then seeing how it goes or just buzz it and see what happens. I have head full of hair and my psoriasis never affected my hair growth I don’t believe. It just makes things painful. I have a medicine I’m supposed to put on my head for it but unfortunately I have to get it prescribed again because it’s been so long since I’ve been able to see a dermatologist. I was going to talk to them about what could be good for my scalp psoriasis and what I can do to prevent situations like this.

To take part, sign in or register with us