Swimming issues

Posted Wed 19 May 2021 09.59 by Happychappy

Has anyone found that swimming and chlorine is a flare trigger. I use barrier creams, but my flexural psoriasis still flared. I'm now put off swimming. My pharmacist suggested Cavilon is a great barrier cream. Appreciate any suggestions

Posted Wed 19 May 2021 21.20 by Yacht

Chlorinated water can dry or irritate skin for some people, so it could be a psoriasis trigger.

Posted Sat 29 May 2021 18.46 by Vintage_banana

I have flexural psoriasis I started going swimming again in April. It has made the psoriasis very very sore. I can't seem to do any form of exercise without suffering for a few days after.

Posted Sat 29 May 2021 23.04 by Happychappy

Hi Vintage_banana, I'm having the same issues. Like you its flared my flexural psoriasis. Back to the steroid creams for now. Sadly it looks like swimming is off the agenda I'm dreading the warmer weather. Sweating kicks it off also! Can't win!!

Posted Sat 29 May 2021 23.10 by Vintage_banana

Oh I am the same. People say the winter is bad for psoriasis but I feel summer is just the same. I am starting methotrexate again Tuesday. My dermo told me losing weight can help with the psoriasis but the exercise makes it worse so I can't win.

Posted Sun 30 May 2021 11.23 by Happychappy

Hi, I take it yours isn't good to go onto Methotrexate. Annoyingly I get a bit sweaty so it's constant underwear changes. Agree, summer is worst for us. I've upped the protopic so hopefully it will help

Posted Sun 30 May 2021 13.24 by Vintage_banana

I have tried so many creams and solutions. I even went vegan (been vegan now a year) I was told it helps. It doesn't help. I am albino so can't have UV therapy. I have been like this now since 2016. Had methotrexate twice it always goes away with that.

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 13.22 by Mary1968

Hello Happychappy Yes, swimming in chlorine causes me to flare up I had to stop swimming at the local indoor pool for that reason. I have never used a barrier cream, but a wet suit may help? I now only swim in freshwater lakes or oceans, as inspired by a book series called Wild Swimming. Diet and supplements cleared me, but if I ever swim in chlorine water for a few sessions, I can feel my skin itch and a flare will come soon after

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 13.53 by Happychappy

Hi Mary1968. Must get that book. What diet helped and supplements ?

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 22.45 by Mary1968

Hi Happychappy I presume you are UK based? If so, have a look at the website : wildswimming.co.uk But the series covers many areas of the world An anti-inflammatory Mediterranean wholefood diet. Which involves identifying and removing the foods that inflame, and replacing with nutrient-rich foods that heal. Vitamin D3 and Fish Oil are important supplements, along with Zinc. Plus a few other things.

Posted Mon 14 Jun 2021 17.56 by Happychappy

Hi Mary1968. Yes I'm UK based. Thanks for your info. Will look at it.

To take part, sign in or register with us