Where can I hire phototherapy uvb

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 12.30 by Gerard86

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone can help me and knows anywhere I can hire a phototherapy uvb stand. I don’t have the money to buy one right now and all I can do is hire. I live in Glasgow and can’t seem to find anywhere to hire. Skin condition is really bad and it’s getting me down. Hope someone can help me. Thanks, Gerard

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 21.38 by steph

Hi , no I also looked for you but nothing in scotland. I was desperate myself and purchased a mini unit from mbs on line. I havnt used it correctly and not been consistant with it ,my skin is shocking at the moment! My advice to you is try exorex lotion ( if you havnt already) but once you applied put double base cream over as well! Important. A few years ago this worked brilliant for me and it doesnt damage your clear skin either. Keep at it and it should smooth it out. Im hit and miss with this lotion at the minute as im trying so many different ones and so impatient as well. But when i only used this on my big elbow patches years back it worked. Maybe I should stop messing about and just do the same again! Anyway hope something as been useful. Steph

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 11.42 by Gerard86

Thank you for your reply. I’m really wanting to hire a stand and doesn’t seem to be anywhere that does that in Scotland. So I’m giving it a few days and then will maybe buy one but it’s costly. As for creams I’ve used a lot and they have never worked for me. Never tried that lotion right enough. Also noticed this online when I was doing some research. There are tablets that are called Tofacitinib, sold under the brand Xeljanz among others. These are suppose to work well with the Phillips narrowband uv-b light. Although I don’t know if you can get them from NHS and if not they are expensive to buy. Thanks, Gerard

Posted Sat 19 Jun 2021 19.53 by steph

Gerard .. I dont think you need to buy tablets that work with uvb, uvb is enough on its own with moisteriser afterwards. I would only use my exorex lotion hand in hand with uvb as thats what I did years ago at the hospital. It makes you more sensitive to sunlight. The reason im not doing so good with my uvb unit at the moment is because I dont want to tan in the sun and then expose myself again to uvb. Im going to start in winter. My mini unit cost £800 delivered to my address. I was desperate,but then the sun came out! It put me and my partner in debt to get it. Anyway I wish you well and keep us all updated . Steph

Posted Mon 21 Jun 2021 12.07 by Yacht

Try Much Better Skin (MBS).

Posted Mon 21 Jun 2021 14.38 by Moggy1

Problem with waiting for phototherapy on the NHS is the very long waiting lists and the shortage of private providers.

Posted Thu 24 Jun 2021 07.14 by Gerard86 (edited Thu 24 Jun 2021 07.15 by Gerard86)

I managed to buy a uvb stand the same one as the one “much better skin” sells but got it for much cheaper on eBay. First session with it yesterday 40 seconds each side and my body has went red. I’ll leave it another two days before I was it again and I’ll try 30 seconds next time. The lamps don’t feel warm at all but after a hours went by, you can feel your body temperature go up because of the radiation. I’m hoping this machine can help me get my normal skin colour back. Should I use anything else with the phototherapy stand? I’’ve started using protopic twice a day after use of the stand. Gerard

Posted Thu 24 Jun 2021 08.11 by steph

Hi gerard .. Really happy you managed to get a uvb unit. I was worried there was something wrong with mine because you dont feel heat from the tubes but thats normal apparently. I spoke to a lovely guy yesterday that had actually spoke to you recently. He advised me about using my unit correctly. How to build up my time from 30 to 40 seconds and so on. Be careful I got impatient and burnt. And mine is just a mini unit. Im going to look into the cream you mentioned I never heard of it. Please update us all in a few week and good luck Steph.

Posted Thu 24 Jun 2021 22.52 by Gerard86 (edited Thu 24 Jun 2021 22.53 by Gerard86)

Hi Stephanie, Was it Kevin or Paul you was talking to? I was going to buy from them but manage to get the same stand and had to head out yesterday to Newcastle and collect it. They are the best creams to use from research I’ve done. Check out: https://vitiligosociety.org/vitiligo-treatments/ Yeah.. I’ve burnt myself but I’m not that bad. I’ll stick with 30 seconds from now on until my body gets use to it. I hope what your doing works for you.. Gerard

Posted Thu 24 Jun 2021 23.11 by steph

Hi Gerard...Im not sure of his name but he was a really nice guy. He actually got back to me when I put my name down on there waiting list for uvb, but I had already purchased one from elsewhere. Still he asked me how I was getting on with it and give me some tips. Thats when I mentioned if they rented in Scotland thinking about you, and by chance he asked was it for gerard i was enquiring and that he had already spoke to you. Anyhow good luck and thanks for the link steph

Posted Thu 1 Jul 2021 02.37 by Yacht

A phototherapy unit can burn the skin (make it red) in as little as 10 seconds. Ten seconds. For the very first blast of UVB light, it should be 10-15 seconds max.

Posted Thu 1 Jul 2021 07.06 by Angry

You can get a hand helt one for £125 from goole or try amazon

Posted Thu 1 Jul 2021 15.40 by steph

Gerard.. have you noticed anthing happening yet? I started uvb on the 20th june but properly this time. I have done 30 seconds every other day and now got to 1 minute a day but my skin looks worse. Steph

Posted Thu 1 Jul 2021 23.49 by Angry

I thought you do not need any sort of cream to use a uvb light if you do can someone tell me what they are and where can Ibuy them.

Posted Fri 2 Jul 2021 00.18 by Yacht

UVB can take up to 8-10 weeks before improvements are seen. It takes real commitment.

Posted Mon 5 Jul 2021 14.50 by Gerard86 (edited Mon 5 Jul 2021 14.54 by Gerard86)

Hi Stephanie, I’ve been using the stand three times a week like stated with cream after use. Protopic/Tacrolimus, there the same basically. So using the cream twice a day every 12 hours. I’ve not seen any improvement yet either but it could take months. My vitiligo is bad the now and coming out faster than ever before. So I’m sure that’s not helping me either. I need to find a way to stabilise it. How is yours Stephanie, has your vitiligo stopped? have you been taking any tablets to help and how has your skin got worse? I listen to the podcaster Joe Rogan and he’s had vitiligo for awhile but recently at the start of the year, he went on a carnivore diet and eating nothing but organic grass fed meats and his vitiligo improved and most went away. Here is a clip on that: https://youtu.be/pmThYbzHbsg So I’ll be trying this come next week and see how that works for me lol! Also.. I’ve found more stuff which I might like to try at a later date if eligible here in the UK. Prednisolone tablets which can be used with phototherapy. Azathioprine a medicine that suppresses your immune system. Afamelanotide is an injection into the white skin patch to promote growth in melanocytes. Xeljanz (tofacitinib) A drug already approved for use in rheumatoid arthritis patients that dampens the body's immune response and ultraviolet-B light therapy. The “ Xeljanz (tofacitinib)” tablets cost a fortune though but hopefully the NHS has them or maybe in a different name. I’ve not checked that far ahead yet. I hope this helps some people out too. Gerard

Posted Fri 19 Aug 2022 06.15 by Jam956

Gerard did you get a uvb unit?

Posted Fri 19 Aug 2022 11.27 by Gerard86

Yes. I bought one for over 1k awhile back now which is a stand.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 2022 17.02 by Jam956

I've just bought one for our son £2k it's worth it to get his skin clear 4yrs since his last break out he had covid month ago then took streptococcus which triggered his psoriasis

Posted Fri 19 Aug 2022 18.21 by Gerard86

I’m using it for vitiligo but doesn’t seem to be working for me but it’s calmed things down. Long has your son been using it for and how is your sons skin doing with the uvb light? Hope all is good 😁

To take part, sign in or register with us