I’m miserable

Posted Thu 16 Sep 2021 17.50 by Howarpa57

I have patiently lived with this skin issue on my feet now since 2018. 10 years ago one knuckle had a patch - while still working my fingers left blood on documents . I could have started light treatment but put my work schedule before my health. Retired to the UK where medical time and help is a luxury unless you have insurance. By then fingers were better but feet started. Whenever I got a slight shoe rub or blister it became very painful indeed. I have been prescribed dermovate but until the hard skin was removed from my feet it would not work. Used salycic acid regularly and buff !? And moisturise 2x daily but now feet cut and bleeding and blister like sore areas arrived a few months ago which prevent me from placing feet on floor properly. My Surgery finally referred me in June local Hospital gave me appt in December. I know private costs are high so I waited but now nearly October I have surrrndered and taken appt in private hospital for 5.10 Does anybody have this type of psoriasis on soles of feet? What do you do?! Any suggestions?? I am so miserable and today slept 13-16 because I can’t bear to put feet in floor!

Posted Thu 16 Sep 2021 19.23 by Alex N

Hi there I sympathise. I was diagnosed with palmar plantar psoriasis by a dermatologist in 2019, after several months of hobbling around not being able to walk because of splits on the soles of my feet. None of the creams my GP prescribed worked. I also paid to go private (and it was pre-Covid), because I was at my wits’ end and didn’t want to wait months to see someone. Then I developed splits on my hands as well and could barely hold cutlery it was so painful. Had a course of light treatment (3 times a week for 7 weeks), but it doesn’t really help palms and soles because the skin is too thick to penetrate. Eventually the Consultant prescribed Acitretin - a very aggressive drug, but it worked miracles on me, and cleared it completely within weeks. I gradually reduced the dose over several months, and stopped taking it altogether about 10 months later. Have been clear ever since (about 18 months now). Acitretin isn’t suitable for women of child-bearing age, and doesn’t come without side effects, but we’ll worth it for me! Good luck and hope you find something that works for you.

To take part, sign in or register with us