New Shower Routine that might help You

Posted Thu 14 Oct 2021 12.39 by MyaAshley

Hey, I’ve had P for 15+ years now at 21 y/o and often have flare up. I am on no medication and no steroid creams at the moment due to being a student and the cost is too much! Over the last few months I’ve been testing out a shower routine that hasn’t cured my P but has prevented any flare ups which for me is amazing! I wanted to share my routine incase anyone wants to try it out and see if it works for them as it’s cheap and easy. So to begin, before I get in the shower I cover myself in baby oil, just the cheap stuff and let it sink in for a few minutes before I get in the shower. Once I’m in the shower I make sure the waters below 40 degrees c, I’m not sure what that is in Fahrenheit but you want warm water not hot! If I’m washing my hair I’ll wash off the baby oil last, if I’m not washing my hair I’ll make sure I use an in shower oil, such as body shop Hemp shower oil which works amazing. If I’m shaving my legs I’ll do so with conditioner to not irritate my skin then get out, dry my legs and apply more baby oil. After I’ve showered I’ll apply my normal moisturisers. I only use baby oil before a shower about 3/4 times a week. Before I started this method I use to leave the shower with my patches red raw and sometimes stinging, however now when I come out they are a pale purple. I also found I haven’t had flare up and my patches haven’t grown in size, which isn’t the norm for me. I hated giving up hot showers so I still have one a week but when I get out my skin isn’t red raw like it use to be! Baby oil is so cheap too and I actually don’t get threw it that quick either! Please let me know if you try this out or know the science behind it! Plus if you have anymore tips comment below.

Posted Tue 19 Oct 2021 07.15 by TMT

I only want to comment that our skin (those of us with psoriasis) is often times very sensitive to different chemicals used for scents in different hygiene products. These alone can trigger flare-ups and make things worse on their own than products with no perfumes or fragrances added. So my suggestion would be to try plain mineral oil as that's what baby oil is minus the fragrance that's added. I wouldn't necessarily think that particular scent being one that causes flare-ups, but you never really know. Along with being a guy, baby oil isn't a very masculine scent to smell like. Just my two cents.

To take part, sign in or register with us