Scalp and full body/genitals

Posted Wed 12 Jan 2022 22.42 by Shumel

Hi I am 25 years old now I have been suffering from psoriasis since the age of 15 I've used so many shampoos/creams over the past years from GP and my dermatologist the recent ones been using for my scalp is Capasal Therapeutic Shampoo and for my full body been using Exorex Lotion & Enstilar foam at first of couple weeks of using it helped a lot I was like yess! I've managed to control my P from my scalp to body then recently it's been coming back to a extreme that it's not working please can someone help me and recommend something better and stronger and my next appointment with my dermatology is on the 31st January what would anyone recommend me to ask my dermatologist!

Posted Thu 13 Jan 2022 08.45 by lizziep

Hi Shumet. - I sympathise with you. Enstilar foam does work for a while, but it is a steroid and it comes back, as you have found. You are fortunate to have another appointment on 31st January. Your dermatologist will take you on the next step - he may well start you on drugs - they normally have you trying a number before you get to the hard hitters - so he is likely to give you methotrexate or cyclosporin to start with - these are enough for some people and not for others. Good Luck.

Posted Thu 13 Jan 2022 15.58 by Yacht

These are the usual 3 treatment steps for psoriasis. 1. Mild = creams or foams 2. Medium = pills or UVB light 3. Severe = injections (biologics) Methotrexate and cyclosporine are very strong meds / chemotherapy, with questionable psoriasis clearance. The "gold standard" treatment right now for "extreme" psoriasis is a modern biologic injection, such as risankizumab or bimekizumab. More efficacy, fewer major side-effects.

Posted Thu 13 Jan 2022 16.13 by lizziep (edited Thu 13 Jan 2022 16.16 by lizziep)

I was allergic to Methotrexate, but cyclosporin worked a treat for me at the time - many years ago- completely cleared my psoriasis - I'd forgotten UVB - yes, I had that after lotions and portions and before pills.

Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 13.07 by Richard

Hi I have been put forward for uv treatment by the, dermatologist as I have full body psoriasis. This condition appeared after I had been treated with a chemotherapy cream for supposed skin cancer which turned out to be psoriasis in 3 places. I have never suffered with this before and I am in my seventies. Please can anyone help with the types of creams etc that may work. I am using a prescription dermovate ointment that is marked steroid very potent for my body and elocon potent for my face. Thankyou

Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 14.58 by lizziep (edited Mon 31 Jan 2022 15.05 by lizziep)

Hi Richard - welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on not having skin cancer, but commiserations on having psoriasis - not pleasant. Non prescription creams don't get rid of my psoriasis at all - only the steroids do - but over the counter creams help to keep the plaques from becoming cracked and sore by moisturising. I think you will find the UVB treatment will help a good deal while you are having it - and you get a nice attractive tan! It's time consuming, but worth it. look at top of the page under Information and support/treatments for psoriasis/Moisturisers and Emollients Good luck.

Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 17.20 by Steview (edited Mon 31 Jan 2022 17.35 by Steview)
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Shummel, sounds like your next step will be NUVB. If that fails or your P returns they may offer more UVB therapy. For genital P have you tried Trimovate? Following that usually systemic then finally biologics. Hope your visit to the dermatologist is fruitful for you.

Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 17.24 by Steview

Hi Richard, the popular choice with many dermatogists seems to be Enstillar. It didn't agree with me but funnily a similar product called dovobet is my go to ointment when needed. Caution should be taken with over use of these two though.

Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 17.34 by Steview

@ Yacht. I have read numerous times that you question the use of mtx and cyclo. I am curious is this just your own opinion or have documented stats that results are questionable? These are both recognised treatments for P, although like other treatments may not work for everyone. I agree biologics are the gold standard but some patients have to try different ones. Plus they may be used in combination with mtx for example.

To take part, sign in or register with us