Should I agree to hospitalization for Erythrodermic Psoriasis

Posted Wed 2 Sep 2015 14.58 by Suncatcher2015
I developed psoriasis in 1983, following a severe road traffic accident. I now have plaque psorarisis, psoraric arthritis, nail and scalp p

Hi folks, I have just found this site after Googling madly following this morning's GP Visit. I developed psoriasis in 1983, following a severe road traffic accident. It actually started in my nails while I was lying in the hospital bed and then developed over the years so that I now have plaque psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, nail and scalp psoriasis, and what I think is Inverse Psoriasis. About two months ago I developed an all over body rash, which I have today been back for the fifth time to the doctor this morning as it has changed again, It was thought to be an allergic reaction to medication. originally, but she now thinks I now have Erythrodermic Psoriasis and is trying to get me an urgent appointment with a dermatologist, but so far no luck. She feels this to be urgent and wants to admit me to hospital to see the on call dermatologist there. Not sure what to do. My husband is ill and I look after him, he is due to have an upper Endoscopy tomorrow and cannot be alone overnight following it, so me being admitted to hospital is really bad timing, but our dermatology outpatient service is contracted out to a company called Virgin Dermatology who say they have nothing available for at least two weeks. The doctor has asked to speak to someone senior there to try and get me seen tomorrow, and also spoken to the hospital consultant. Under the terms of the hospital contract with Virgin, he can only see cancer patients in outpatients, not general rash patients. He suggested admission so if my GP wanted him to see me. What an appalling system and what a mess! What I really want to know is how desperate is the condition? Should I agree to admission or am I safe to hang on two weeks in the hope of an outpatient appointment coming up? I haven't felt unwell up to now but am beginning to get problems with temperature regulation, and headache now. Can anyone advise from their experiences please?

To take part, sign in or register with us