Diagnosed with PsA today and starting methotexate next week - high anxiety about it all. Mental health issues too

Posted Tue 15 Mar 2022 22.45 by PsorryNotSorry (edited Tue 15 Mar 2022 22.46 by PsorryNotSorry)

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with PsA today. The diagnosis itself wasn't a shock as I've had sausage toes and fingers for a few months and it impacted my walking, bad shoulder and elbow pain to the point I couldn't lift or bend my arm and I have had psoriasis since I was a kid. I am 29 now and for the last 6 years, my psoriasis has been constant whereas when I was a kid, it would go away for a while or calm down at least. My podiatrist referred me urgently to the rheumatologist and I had my first appt today. I was lucky to wait less than a month for an appt. I was sent for methoxtrexate screening blood work and also a chest x ray and was told if all those come back fine, my GP will call me within a few days/a week to discuss starting methotrexate. Methotrexate was the only med I was really offered today. She said instantly that biologics aren't recommended for my mental health history (I have BPD, OCD, CPTSD and have had psychotic episodes in the past, albeit very rarely) and biologics can make those conditions worse, or so I think. I can't remember the exact reason she gave, I had so much to take in at the appt today. My MH troubles mostly stem from trauma and anxiety based conditions. I have anxiety about everything but especially about death and my health. My dad died suddenly 5 months ago and all my conditions, mental and physical have just nose dived since. I have anxiety about taking meds. For years I wouldn't even take paracetamol because I was scared of side effects. Now I can take them and Naproxen (what I have been treated my joint pain with so far) fine. You can imagine the anxiety I have about starting a medication as serious as methotrexate then! Even have anxiety about all the blood work and scans I have had done. I always think I am going to get a call out the blue saying they have found a tumour or something bad. Again, this is no doubt fuelled by losing my dad recently and also 3 other loved ones suddenly dying in the last 2 years. I am trying my best to not over Google or read into side effects and I have my next CPN appt coming up soon so will discuss with my nurse more ways to try and calm and control my health anxieties because I know I need to at least give this medicine a try especially if I want to be able to walk. The pain in my foot is horrendous at times. It makes me feel sick and it throbs. Just looking for any advice or a shoulder to cry on. Its been a lot to take in and part of me was in denial even when the ultrasound showed the arthritis a month ago and I was in denial that I would have to take serious meds for arthritis and kept telling myself maybe I could be ok with just painkillers despite seeing family members crippled with arthritis. Just feels like it has been one thing after another tbh. I hope you are all keeping well. Take care and thanks for reading :)

Posted Tue 15 Mar 2022 23.13 by Buzzbuzzbuzz

Hi! It can be a bit overwhelming when you first get diagnosed can’t it? Especially with anxiety too. There’s a lot to take in but there are some really good resources on this website. I specifically wanted to let you know that I suffer from some of the same mental health problems as you and I take methotrexate (haven’t been offered anything else either!). I was worried about some of the side effects too but it’s been a very helpful drug, even with the weekly brain fog. I get much less foot pain than I used to since taking it. With the blood monitoring you can feel reassured that they’ll catch any harmful effects too. Anyway, best of luck, I hope it works out for you 👍

Posted Wed 16 Mar 2022 07.28 by OhNo_NotAgain?

@psorrynotsorry: You could also contact the Psoriasis Association directly. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, Under "get in touch" you will find their contact details: Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk Telephone: 01604 251 620 WhatsApp: 07387716439 From time to time they do reply to messages here inviting people to contact them directly if they have worries, concerns and anxiety and need some advice and suppport. They can give advice and help you to understand your situation and options.

Posted Mon 18 Apr 2022 15.07 by WillT

Do you mind if I ask how your treatment went. What happened what side effects or what differences did it make. I have just had my second dose and haven’t seen side effects and know benefits can take a while to come through. Thanks

Posted Wed 18 May 2022 19.48 by mags1986

Biologics shouldn't have any impact what so ever on your MH. I have DID, and biologics (Adalimumab, generic Humira) has been life changing, an actual MIRACLE. Methotrexate was a nightmare, i was constantly sick and my MH was in the toilet. whoever is saying biologics arent right for you is gaslighting you into accepting an inferior treatment. Please ask to get the tests for biologics and persue those.

Posted Sat 9 Jul 2022 11.57 by Xandy

I am currently on biologics (enbrel injections) and have also been on humira.. I am also bi-polar which is kept under control by 50mg quetiapine combined till recently with Depakote which I stopped because of hair loss (now improved). You can only go on biologics if other treatments fail. In my case methotrexate caused hepatitis and fatty liver. I was not ill with it but the tests picked it up. The methotrexate was great for my psoriasis and ok for the arthritis. The biologics are excellent for the arthritis but in my case no help to the psoriasis. I found the methotrexate much better but of course I cannot take it any more because it causes hepatitis. It may well not cause you hepatitis and even if it does they will spot it and it will go away. You can then try biologics but I find the methotrexate much better for psoriasis. I don't think that biologics are bad for bipolar but you can't try them unless other treatments fail.

Posted Fri 5 Aug 2022 21.27 by Seeknatural

Anyone who goes through losing someone close has so much to deal with as we are never taught how to cope with it. I lost my mum, got diagnosed with coeliac disease hypothyroid disease, and then my dad had cancer diagnosis twice in a row with me being the caring daughter but nowhere else id rather be. If anyone feels so full of anxiety, suffers grieving or is being too hard on themselves please know there are other people out there who know what you are going through, and things will always get better, one way doesnt fit all and we are all different. I do know once i realised i could open up about talking about feeling like crying, not understanding the emotions was all normal, but once you ride the waves instead of them crashing into you you can understand it all. Please talk about it and open up if you feel lost.

To take part, sign in or register with us