Tapinarof Cream

Posted Tue 10 May 2022 18.48 by MartynT

Hi All, I am new to this community so bear with me! I am a long term sufferer of psoriasis and have a flare up on the backs of my hands and forearms. I was doing some research recently on new treatments and came across a cream called Tapinarof which apparently has a fantastic success rate - https://hospitalhealthcare.com/news/tapinarof-cream-effective-for-moderately-severe-plaque-psoriasis/ I have checked with my GP to see if this will be available in the UK and got a bit of a blank look! I am therefore checking with this community to see if any of you have further info on this cream and if/when it will be available in the UK? Thanks for any info. Martyn.

Posted Fri 28 Oct 2022 23.32 by Woods

Hi Martyn, it certainly seems to be a game changer. Have you made any headway with locating it in the UK?

Posted Sat 29 Oct 2022 08.00 by MartynT

Hi, I actually had a dermatology appointment a couple of weeks ago and the consultant thought we wouldn’t see this treatment in the UK for a couple of years. That said, I got the impression he was not basing his comment on anything concrete. I do wonder whether there’s a way of somehow importing it from the US. Cheers, Martyn.

Posted Sat 29 Oct 2022 11.42 by Woods

Martyn, yes I'd agree, he probably didn't like you suggesting another treatment. Yes I'd think it could be imported, the problem is it seems to be very expensive $1200 for a tube I think I read somewhere. I still would give it a go though as the results are spectacular. It would be worth trying sending out a few emails to the various companies I think to see if it's possible. Or if someone had an American friend......

Posted Sat 29 Oct 2022 13.03 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 29 Oct 2022 13.51 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

It was only approved in the US by the FDA as a treatment for moderately severe psoriasis on May 4 2022. I am not sure why only "moderately" severe? In the US it is a prescription-only medication. https://www.vtama.com/resources I doubt if it can be imported commercially. Perthaps a private dermatologist could advise whether or not they could obtain it.

1 Posted Sat 29 Oct 2022 13.46 by Woods

I've read quite a bit about it, and it can be used on moderate psoriasis also. The trials are really good, I'm just hoping to generate a bit of discussion on here about it. Hopefully there maybe someone who can push it further and see if we could import some, or at least find our when it is available.

Posted Sat 29 Oct 2022 13.54 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 29 Oct 2022 13.58 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

@Woods: I don't know why you think it "could be imported" or why you think a UK Consultant who says they think it might not be available here for a couple of years is saying that because they "didn't like you suggesting another treatment." It is available in the US but as a prescription-only medication. That will limit the possibilities to import it to the UK until it has approval here.

1 Posted Sat 29 Oct 2022 14.21 by Woods

I'm saying that because with the Internet all sorts of medication can be bought from other countries. The reason I said that is from experience. Some Consultants would not like the patient telling them that there may be an alternative treatment available.

Posted Sun 8 Jan 2023 23.23 by PM

Hello to all, I’m new to the Association, having joined after seeing this thread. My (US) doctor prescribed Tapinarof (marketed in the States as Vtama) last summer. He learned about it while looking for a steroid alternative for me and so far I’ve had good success. Feel free to ask me anything you’d like. Here’s hoping this year brings you closer to seeing this in the UK and elsewhere.

Posted Mon 9 Jan 2023 08.01 by MartynT

Hi, Glad to hear this is working for you. I appreciate this medicine has to go through approval in the UK but considering how successful it has been, you’d have thought the NHS, GP’s, dermatologist’s etc would be trying to fast track it somehow but I guess that’s wishful thinking!

Posted Mon 9 Jan 2023 09.43 by Woods

Hi Pomme, good to hear that you've had some success with it. Now would you fancy sending me some?

Posted Wed 11 Jan 2023 21.46 by PM (edited Thu 12 Jan 2023 00.07 by PM)

Thanks @MartynT ! And, @Woods, Cheeky is a word few in the US may know, said one of the few who disparages the use of “lol.” So I’m guessing you’ve read the studies? Do you ever look to see what’s in clinical trials in the UK? I’m unfamiliar with the drug passage process in your country. Anyone here know how to look into that? Or think about contacting the company that makes this? Has anyone noticed the manufacturer is allied with another company in Basel, Switzerland? Look at the website and follow any changes on the Pipeline tab? https://www.dermavant.com/ The parent company is Roivant which also has a Pipeline tab https://www.roivant.com/companies The website says they’re going to change the world. They’ve certainly changed mine. Maybe I should look into investing, as if I could afford that. Here’s a link to what’s being written about it, as it’s now being tested on Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis and in younger people https://www.dermatologytimes.com/search?searchTerm=Vtama

Posted Thu 12 Jan 2023 09.37 by Woods

😄 I was always told if you don't ask you don't get. But seriously I have looked at a few different avenues, and it's a difficult nut to crack, it's hard to get a hols of where the product is in relation to it's roll out in Europe.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 2023 20.12 by PM

If you don’t ask You don’t get.. I guess ;) Worth writing to ask. Tell them you’re participating in a conversation public to a large UK Pso Assn and you’re not the only one who wants to know. Tell them you’re interested in investing. Ask yo be added to their mailing list for all updates.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 2023 22.15 by Woods

Thanks for that. Ill give it a go. I was hoping that by posting on here that there would be someone who would know the timescale of a drug introduced in the USA to be approved here in the UK. I'll look them up tomorrow and see if they have a relevant department. Looking at their own website the results look spectacular.

Posted Tue 2 May 2023 21.53 by Tulip

Not sure if anyone checking this thread still. Wondered if you ever found out any useful information?

Posted Tue 2 May 2023 22.03 by Woods

No Tulip , it looks as if its not available in Europe and I can't find out when.

Posted Tue 2 May 2023 22.34 by Tulip

Thanks. So frustrating

Posted Wed 3 May 2023 20.32 by MartynT

Hi folks, I’m waiting on my dermatologist to investigate the availability of this cream in the UK so will report back when I get a response.

Posted Wed 3 May 2023 23.21 by Woods

Thanks Martint, keep me informed.

To take part, sign in or register with us