Should I get a tattoo?

Posted Sun 3 Apr 2016 23.16 by nfrancis

Have suffered with P for 14 years, am currently using the usual ointments, mtx and enbrel. Is there any advice surrounding P and tattoos?

1 Posted Fri 10 Jun 2016 13.37 by Leahd (edited Sat 18 Jun 2016 09.53 by cscotto)
I have scalp psoriasis and smal patches on my body

I have no tattoos myself but I know that sometimes when I break the surface of my skin eg squeezing a spot or something I've noticed I've broken out in psoriasis but it might just be different for everyone :)

Posted Sat 18 Jun 2016 09.53 by Ashley
i’ve had psoriasis since 10, 16 years till now.

my doctor told me, Tattoo is a no no, coz P is growing on the skin wound. i don't know if u do, but I'm crazy about tattoo.i already know what i wanted to get on my body.. wish one day we can recover and live the lifestyle we want. :)

Posted Mon 29 Aug 2016 16.04 by Becky

I had a tattoo in the early days of psoriasis and it went fine. I don't think there is a definitive yes or no.

Posted Wed 31 Aug 2016 00.53 by Mydadpeter

Hi i have had poriasis for20 odd years and i have 10 tattoo never had an outbreak from them never caused anythin other than the needle pain sp go for it :-)

Posted Thu 1 Sep 2016 08.29 by andrea
have had p for too many years

i have a tatoo for 10 years and have never had a problem with psoriasis occurring on it at anytime.

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 10.53 by Andy
Psoriasis for 35 years and Psoriatic Arthritis for 15 years.

I've never had a tattoo. But with psoriasis I would think it might not be a good idea to have a large tattoo. The way a tattoo works is small spherical ink balls are injected just below the skin and stay there formining the various colours. Tattoos tend to fade and blurr over the years as the immune system breaks them down and removes them. The laser treatments for tattoo removal smash up this balls into smaller bits that the immune system removes much faster. So there is an immune response going on with a tattoo. Psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis both involve immune responses. So do you want to place stress on your immune system when you have a condition that already stresses your immune system? I guess small tattoos will not be much of a problem but large ones may do. This is just my view and I'm sure there are many folk that have never experinced any issues.

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 13.01 by obi1138
Hey guys,long time sufferer,even longer drum and metal lover!hoping to meet,chat and find fellow afflicteds....let's stick together!

I have two full tattoo sleeves,all done while suffering P.I made sure that affected areas were scale free and had healed a bit with ointment before going to ensure minimal risk of infection. I have heard that tattoo ink can help reduce P and that it can in some people be beneficial,utterly unproven and unfounded but in any case,if you want a tattoo,go for it,life's for living and why shouldn't we!

Posted Sun 9 Oct 2016 01.41 by Kelimarie
Been suffering with psoriasis since the age of 15.

I have 7 tattoos and my p only affects one of them

Posted Sun 9 Oct 2016 11.09 by Libby0888

I've never had a tattoo myself but my mum and dad suffer with psoriasis and they have tattoos. on my dad's leg piece he has broke out a little bit, but that wasn't due to the healing process, that's occurred years later. nobody can tell you whether or not to get one, just be aware that your psoriasis could break out on the area!

Posted Wed 12 Oct 2016 20.43 by Cole
Periodic acute outbreaks of guttate psoriasis. Scalp and plaque psoriasis ongoing.

I have lots of tattoos (some fairly large) and none has ever aggravated or seemed to trigger my P although my recent bout of Guttate developed into patches everywhere, including all over the tattoos x

Posted Wed 12 Oct 2016 20.47 by Cole
Periodic acute outbreaks of guttate psoriasis. Scalp and plaque psoriasis ongoing.

Sorry cont... I didn't get my first tattoo till the age of 30 (am now 38) and part of the reason for wanting them is that I've never liked my skin as it's been the source of so much trauma so the tattoos were a sort of positive act for me. If that makes sense?!? Lol

Posted Mon 24 Oct 2016 16.26 by Jody T

I've had two tattoos since I developed psoriasis 24 years ago. I did discuss my psoriasis with my tattooist before he carried out any work and he did warn me that if the "art work" was subjected to an outbreak, then the colour could fade a bit. Both areas have been affected from time to time by plaque psoriasis over the years, but neither appear to have faded where affected. I also found, after I had them done, that more people remarked on the artwork and less on the psoriasis! Like Cole, I wanted to have them done to have something positive on my skin.

Posted Tue 1 Nov 2016 21.55 by Pippa
Hey guys I'm 27 and had psoriasis since I was 18

I've had three tattoos done, the first and second went fine but the third most recent started koebner phenomenon . I had the tattoo done 6 weeks ago and I'm getting new patches in different areas of my body now.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 2017 20.57 by freshsoda

I'm planning to make on my back smth like these http://inkprofy.com/biomechanical-tattoo-designs/

Posted Sat 1 Apr 2017 21.47 by Hashee

Hi ive had psoriasis for 30 years now, and would have always liked a small tattoo, but because of the way my psoriasis seems to work i haven`t had one. where ever i have damaged skin through injury the psoriasis always goes to that area.

Posted Tue 4 Apr 2017 20.15 by Kinetic

I've had a sleeve done and the healing process wasn't affect by my psoriasis, it was done over a few months and didn't get any flare ups. Though I was in a good state with my P as my scalp was only affected at the time. My P is getting worse at the moment and I have the odd little bit of P on some of my tattoo but hasn't changed the colour/design, as my tattoo was finished about 2yrs ago. My tattooist husband suffers from P and he's covered in tattoos and never had trouble having them or during the healing process.

Posted Wed 5 Apr 2017 13.42 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

I find Psoriasis only sets into a cut when I have a flare up of gutatte, otherwise it's OK. A friend has only been getting tattoos since his first flare up of P a few years ago and although he sometimes has to use an ointment afterwards, it hasn't distorted any of the work, just goes bumpy and takes a while to heal properly. I've been thinking about getting some, mostly because I think it would actually help disguise a break out. I'm so pale anything red on my skin shows up very vividly, ink might help hide it. The most important thing is to speak to the tattooist - some of them won't want to do work that might not heal well or will reflect badly on them - you are a walking advert for their business and skills after all. Don't gewt your heart set on something only to find out the only people who will tattoo you are dodgy unlicensed folk!

Posted Sun 9 Apr 2017 02.32 by KathrynnAnn

I have 18 tattoos and I've had P for 14 years. I get patches on on tattoos but never immediately after getting them, ususally only May years later when I've been having a bad flare anyway and my psoriasis is generally symmetrical on not sides of my body in the same places and I get it in the same place on both sides so I don't think it's anything to do with the tattoo. Because of the quicker shedding of skin tattoos will fade quicker than on others but ah well. I would also never get tattooed in an area I hadn't psoriasis and I don't think a good reputable artist would tattoo in an area with it anyway. I wouldn't be me without my tattoos and piercings and I'm not going to let this rubbish condition affect my life anymore than it already does

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2017 11.38 by andrewlang100
I have psoriasis

Hi I had a tattoo after being diagnosed and a part of my tattoo has psoriasis on it which wasn't there before.

To take part, sign in or register with us