stopped alcohol

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2022 22.30 by Lux

I have stopped drinking it’s only been 8 days and I see my skin clearing a bit. Ps I have also been vegetarian for 8 months now

Posted Fri 26 Aug 2022 00.53 by Mary1968

Not sure being a vegetarian is overly helpful in the long-run, especially if you continue to eat lots of dairy, and foods from the nightshade family like eggplant. tomato, white potato etc....

Posted Sat 27 Aug 2022 21.08 by michmo

i havent used alcohol for six months.my psoriasis has improved.

Posted Sat 3 Sep 2022 15.19 by LaughingFlea

I stopped drinking alcohol, but also stopped eating peanut butter and tomatoes. Psoriasis also has improved.

Posted Sun 4 Sep 2022 07.28 by michmo

yes alcohol definately made my psoriasis more aggressive.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 2023 12.53 by RR

New on forum Have plaque psoriasis on shin (about the size of a hand) Also on chest (at least I think it is) In ears and today another small plaque on elbow and on foot Oh and on my gluteus maximus😃 Have redness on face beside nose and above lip (don't think this is psoriasis though) The shin psoriasis responded well to Eumovate cream initially but returned when I discontinued use. It has got worse due to scratching and has never been in remission over the last 3 years. Generally I feel stressed out and anxious over life things which probably contributes to it. My Dad had it so it's a genetic inheritance unfortunately. I am going to try cutting alcohol (which will be difficult as I could give Jim Lahey trailer park supervisor a run for his money somedays!) Keeping fingers crossed that this will work. There doesn't seem to be a general discussion page here or maybe I just missed it.

Posted Wed 12 Jul 2023 09.32 by Sickofpsoriasis

Laughing flea, I’ve never read anyone mention peanut butter before .. why is that?

Posted Sun 16 Jul 2023 10.32 by mt382

I'm on acitretin so so have I, I suppose!!! Drink has always been a huge part of my life. Funnily enough I'd just started reading "The Naked Minz" and trying to engage with rewiring my feelings towards alcohol when - BAM - I actually CANT drink alcohol anymore without allowing toxic retinoid levels to build up in my body. I think improving liver health can only help psoriasis in the long run...

Posted Fri 11 Aug 2023 02.02 by New2This

Hi. This is my first time on here. I developed psoriasis about a year ago (in my 50s) as a result of excessive drinking, smoking and stress. Initially I freaked out because I knew I was going to have this for the rest of my life. I have stopped drinking altogether and cut down on smoking in a bid to prevent flare-ups and my condition from worsening. I've gradually adapted to and accepted my condition over the past 12 months. I'm lucky because I guess I have a reasonably mild case; mostly from the knees down on both legs but recently I have developed new, small lesions on my feet, back and upper arms. I have found this very distressing but it is what it is.

Posted Fri 11 Aug 2023 17.15 by michmo

Kind of contradicting myself here in regards to alcohol. I have stopped drinking for six teen months now, I'm not convinced my psoriasis improved much. It only began to improve after I blitzed my diet. I can't stress enough how important your diet is with psoriasis. At your age to get psoriasis it think you could cure yours. It mostly manifests when your young. Seek advice.

Posted Fri 11 Aug 2023 19.14 by New2This

Hi michmo, I abused alcohol to cope with personal trauma for a 12 month period. When I first realised 'hang on.. there's something wrong here', I initially had a private consultation with a pharmacist who didn't think it was psoriasis at all, but some kind of infection that antibiotics might cure? I knew from all the research I had conducted, and its a lot, because I suffer with anxiety anyway, that it wasn't an infection even though I went through all sorts of scenarios such as spider/insect bites. It was indeed psoriasis and I firmly believe I developed it via 'too many party days'. To the best of my knowledge it is not hereditary in my case. I was drinking 20 units a day and smoking 10-15 cigarettes a day for a year whilst all the while my stress levels were seriously exacerbated. I got help and sorted my life out. I think it is highly likely that my alcohol addiction had a significant negative effect on my immune system and its no surprise to me that the price I pay is a lifetime of psoriasis; for which there is currently no known cure.

Posted Fri 11 Aug 2023 22.37 by Sickofpsoriasis

I also unfortunately think my heaving drinking over the course of my youth is what kept psoriasis so consistent through my life :(

Posted Sat 12 Aug 2023 04.27 by New2This

We can't change the past and I guess we have to accept the fact we have psoriasis and it ain't going away anytime soon; but we can manage it; the idea that we control it and not vice versa.

Posted Sat 12 Aug 2023 08.40 by mt382

For what it's worth, most people who regularly drink have some element of fatty liver disease, which has knock on on systemic inflammation, blood sugar etc. Giving up isn't going to make psoriasis better for many months, possible a yesr or two, and it would need other lifestyle factors like diet and exercise to be In line, as well as body weight. Psoriasis really does need an overall holistic healthy lifestyle. I'm only writing this because when you first quit drinking lack of results on any front can be disheartening and then the monster tries to convince you to start again. Health improvement will come

Posted Sat 12 Aug 2023 08.53 by New2This

Thank you all for your support. One major disadvantage with heavy drinking is loss of appetite and/or lack of motivation to eat, cook, etc. I've always been a physically active person, but again motivational factors always kicked in when I needed to go to the gym. When I quit I rapidly started gaining weight as a result of eating a lot more; but not excessively. My demon at the moment is cigarettes. I smoke a heck of a lot less since quitting alcohol but I've been smoking for 37 years and I really want to quit. Work in progress. I completely agree that healthy eating and regular exercise is very important when it comes to managing psoriasis.

Posted Sat 12 Aug 2023 13.03 by RR

My longest period off alcohol was 6 weeks. Unfortunately when I succumbed to temptation I went back harder than before. It certainly doesn't help with the Psoriasis and generally after a w/e of drinking Mondays start out with general inflammation (not just the Psoriasis but excema and other gimpy red bits like dermatitis and such. My leg psoriasis will kind of fade a bit during the week but once a week it itches like crazy and the blissful relief of raking the nails over is for me impossible to resist. Of course this just perpetuates the cycle. It's getting bigger too that patch on shin I can see the little red dots spreading out and the itch is like deep in the muscle. When I scratch it's like I'm trying to scratch a centimetre below the surface of the skin into the calf. I agree with what others have said about a holistic approach to dealing with it. Nutrition, exercise, sunlight, coping with stress and anxiety (I think these are major culprits) hydration and moisturizer etc all play a part Have a good rest of weekend people.

Posted Sat 12 Aug 2023 13.52 by New2This

@RR Have you tried Enstilar foam? Its by far the most effective treatment I have used. Its not cheap but I've always noticed it yields better results for me than the creams and ointments which sounds strange because they all contain the same active ingredient; just varying strengths. Of course, everyone is different.

Posted Sat 12 Aug 2023 16.51 by RR

@New3This Thanks for the recommendation! However I am trying to avoid products with steroids and am hoping to manage the condition naturally for now. In fairness I haven't even tried cutting down on booze yet so there are natural routes still for me to try. Having said that I may well give it a go if there is no improvement. Eumovate did actually work for me a few years ago but it came back after I discontinued treatment and I have a sneaky suspicion it came back just a bit worse. Ah I dunno, it's a psain in the bollox this psoriasis!!

Posted Sun 13 Aug 2023 14.28 by New2This

@RR, I totally get that. I use steroids twice a week and emollient other days. I'm really concerned about skin thinning as a result of prolonged corticosteroid treatment. I'm always trying not to depend on them but when the itching disrupts sleep I sometimes find myself applying it in the early hours of the morning.

Posted Sun 13 Aug 2023 20.52 by RR

@New2This Sorry to hear about the sleep disruption, I used to get non specific itching a few years back at night ..nearly drive me mad. It's just so satisfying to scratch the living Jaysus out of it but for me that's usually once a week with the calf and the other areas aren't too bad. Eyebrows get very itchy at times but slathering cream over them is helping there a bit. The cream I use I think just holds it at bay in general. Going to work on the anxiety/stress side of things as I think that may be part of the problem at least for me anyway. Hope you get some good shut eye tonight!

To take part, sign in or register with us