stopped alcohol

Posted Mon 14 Aug 2023 09.51 by New2This

@RR Thank you very much. Got about 4 hours so better than nothing. Today and tomorrow is steroid day so should hopefully feel some relief tonight. The itching drives me mad. It comes and goes but some days its quite bad. Other days its fine. To me, its the hardest aspect of our condition to deal with. Stress is definitely a massive factor I think. We can stop drinking and smoking but it isn't that easy to quit stressing!

Posted Mon 14 Aug 2023 15.04 by RR

@New2This Re Stress/anxiety I went to a Physcotherapist (well hello Clarice!!) recently as was looking to understand/get to the bottom of why am I feelin general anxiety so am hopeful this will be a help as part of a broad holistic approach. It was grand having a chat and actually felt a little easier in the chest after (that's where my anxiety seems to reside) Going to cut drinking a bit, not going to attempt the full abstinence as I know it won't last but just cut back a bit to a level I can be consistent with. Excercise followed by cold shower today was fantastic by the way. Felt much better on the skin. Might try a gauze wrap on the lower leg and see if that has any positive results.

Posted Mon 14 Aug 2023 18.11 by mt382

@RR - Again, I would recommend The Naked Mind by Annie Grace. I was feeling like I wanted to cut back, but that quitting wouldn't last, and in my heart of hearts I knew I was drinking too much (though o was definitely not aware of the reality of my drinking- big denial). Anyway, the book was actually very useful and really helps you challenge your attitude toward booze. I've not had anything this last month but the main target of the book is teaching you not to want booze, not to feel like you're abstaining. Re. Steroids, I have the unpopular opinion that they're basically fine, that the rebound exists but that the dangers are overstated and the actual normal return/worsening of psoriaiss is underappreciated in that. I also think steroids have three roles: 1) clearing small patches in those who rarely flare and for whom their psoriasis remains dormant after (lucky sods - they exist). 2) Pulse therapy to keep remission going (I cleared my legs with a combination and smother my legs in steroid once or twice a week- keeps it at bay.) 3) As an add on to clear or suppress (via pulse) in combination with another UV or systemic treatment. I think the bad rep comes from those who are left by the GP and dermo to apply steroid ad infinitum until tolerance and rebound inevitably occurs as the disease worsens. I understand the desire to clear with "natural treatments" and I believe that weight loss, exercise and diet definitely reduce severity. Depending on your severity this might result in remission or it might not (doesn't in me!). Its not a symptom of a sick body, its autoimmunity where basically the healthier and more active your immune system is, the worse your psoriasis is. Best of luck.

Posted Mon 14 Aug 2023 18.34 by New2This

@RR,@mt382 Thank you for posting. Being completely abstinent from alcohol has not been easy and I have been taking a medication for several months that helps with cravings. The benefits of quitting have been significant including better sleep and digestion. I agree that healthy eating, exercise and weight control are vitally important to managing psoriasis and reducing the number of triggers. A guy in general chat today posted about black seed oil capsules and a black seed oil cream and he says it has had immense benefits in relation to his psoriasis. I'm really keen to give it a try in conjunction with steroids and emollients.

Posted Tue 15 Aug 2023 23.57 by Sickofpsoriasis

I also find the alcohol situation really difficult to stop completely. Been trying for years to curb my binge drinking on a night out and it’s so so hard. Also was trying to wean off steroids. Also tried black seed. Didn’t really work. Stuck to it for a bit too. Also tried turmeric, cbd, just coal tar, home uvb. Maybe I didn’t wait long enough but was fed up after a year of it just not going naturally so went back to Enstillar. :(

Posted Wed 16 Aug 2023 11.25 by RR

Thanks for the book recommendation MT382...I think I will just give cutting back a go for now as I actually am not ready to quit yet. Had another therapy session was quite useful. Feeling a bit more chilled and laid back. Definitely feeling way less annoyed in traffic and I think anger/stress/anxiety certainly cant help with the condition. It's great to get feedback and comments though so it's good that you and others are posting. @sickofpsoriasis Don't do many nights out but the last one was like 12 to 14 pints of beer around Xmas and I was utterly wrecked for about 3 days. Decided then as NYR to lose 2stone, get active walking/jogging/conditioning/stretching and to get more pro active in dealing with life in general. Have lost 14 pounds so far and am generally fairly active (with some periods of doing very little in fairness) I think now after reading some of the posts I will probably go for mild steroid treatment again to get it under control hopefully and continue with holistic approach in tandem. Good luck with it!

Posted Wed 16 Aug 2023 11.29 by New2This

@ Sickofpsoriasis Hi and thank you for your post. I'm not gonna pretend I haven't fallen off the wagon for a day or so now and again. Beating alcohol, to me, is David and Goliath but I'm always trying to not revert to previous behaviour to cope. I can see that you're very experienced in coping with our condition and basically trying everything. Enstilar is still my go-to medication at present. I'm always on the lookout for something more effective.

Posted Sun 20 Aug 2023 02.17 by Sickofpsoriasis

Thanks for your replies everyone. It’s a continuous daily battle for us all :(

Posted Mon 21 Aug 2023 20.31 by New2This

@Sickofpsoriasis It is and hopefully we will win the war! 😊✌

Posted Sat 16 Sep 2023 12.29 by Wilson02 (edited Sat 16 Sep 2023 12.30 by Wilson02)

Stopped alcohol" typically refers to the decision to abstain from consuming alcoholic beverages . This can be for various reasons, such as health, personal choice, or addiction recovery. Stopping alcohol can lead to improved physical and mental well-being, increased productivity, and a healthier lifestyle. It's a significant step for individuals seeking a change in their alcohol consumption habits.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 2023 16.39 by An

hi everyone, i have had psoriasis for decades now and realised in 2014 that alcohol triggers it and stopped drinking. it helped in stopping triggers. and in 2020 i realised stopping gluten cleared it up altogether. however, abstaining from alcohol completey has been very difficult and i was wondering if anyone has found any drink which doesnt trigger or triggers very little?

Posted Wed 22 Nov 2023 07.15 by michmo

Hi An I haven't touched alcohol for 18 months now and gluten free for 6 months. Unfortunately my psoriasis has improved but considering the sacrifices the results so far are disappointing. Regarding psoriasis I have come to the conclusion that I don't know what to say in trying to help others.

Posted Wed 22 Nov 2023 08.36 by RR

Hello fellow P sufferers Trying out Dovobet now -Its a 3 month plan so just starting in that. Have P on lower leg ,chest mainly but I recently feel it itching on my upper back which is hard to get at! Have either excema or P in ears and face can be a bit rashy around eyebrows lips and nose (thinks that's something else though) Noticed when stress levels dropped the P on leg improved a bit. Think my tendency is to get stressed about things, small unimportant things become way bigger than they should. Can be mentally exhausting. Seeing a therapist just to talk through this stuff and it definitely helps put things in perspective. Alcohol I have cut down by at least 50% Was drinking far too much .. 4/5 nights a week. Bottle of wine followed by 4 X cans of beer. Think of the damage to liver, sleep, concentration, extra weight etc. I would drink on Sunday night just so I had an excuse not to do anything Monday as I would normally get anxious on Sunday over work on Monday. Mad stuff. I started with a commitment to cut drinking out completely on Sunday. That stuck. Then I committed to cutting down to Fri and Sat only That stuck too Then I cut down the amount I drink on Fri and Sat That worked Next I cut out every other Friday and I'm finding that that is difficult so I'm at Fri and Sat with reduced level of drinking stage. Feel way better, hangovers are now very slight so can get on with doing things the next day. Feel more alert overall. Feel more in control and want to tackle things rather than avoid. So booked GP visit and got put on this Dovobet treatment. Its a step by step journey. Wishing you all good health and take care.

Posted Thu 23 Nov 2023 05.52 by An

@michmo, i totally get what u mean.. it improves for a while and then hits a plateau, and this plateau is frustrating cos u are giving up all these things with very little in return...

Posted Sun 26 Nov 2023 13.08 by Bizzybad

Thank you for this discussion. I have found diet to have little effect on my psoriasis. Still even though alcohol use and other factors may not help some treatments never succeed. Like in the case of my psoriasis on my eyelids. Psoriasis just lose them shut and in the morning I have to rub the psoriasis off to open.

Posted Sun 26 Nov 2023 13.38 by michmo

I just researched the subject and found respected doctors who's suggestions I followed. I don't think stopping alcohol will change the condition much. There are obviously other health benefits. I have read about some sufferers who have taken medication that leads the condition up. I don't want to take that route because it can affect the immune system which is there for more important health conditions that could arise in the future. The itchings a mystery to me because I have had psoriasis for 40 years and it's only been the last few years that the itchings become nasty, mainly on my legs. Hope everyone's well.

To take part, sign in or register with us