No sleep!

Posted Sat 17 Sep 2022 15.02 by Milliedance (edited Sat 17 Sep 2022 15.04 by Milliedance)

Hello all, I'm new to the Forums so excuse me if this topic has already been raised. My psoriasis is keeping me awake at night. Either I don't get any sleep at all or wake up after one or two hours because of the itching and burning. I've not been able to get any decent sleep for months, often going for more than 72 hours without sleeping at all. I saw a Consultant Dermatologist this week who wants to start me on Methotrexate as soon as. I have had a chest x-ray and have booked blood tests for the first week in October so it will be a few weeks yet before I can start the treatment. Even then, I expect it takes a couple of months or more for there to be any noticeable difference. I was given a 2 week course of sleeping tablets recently because I was struggling so much, but my GP said this could only be done once as the tablets are addictive. Now I've finished them I'm back to not sleeping. I'm 60, unable to work as I also have M.E. My question is: Do you have any suggestions as what I can do to get some relief at night? (I cannot take a warm bath as my arthritis means I can only manage to get in the shower). Many thanks

Posted Sun 25 Sep 2022 03.56 by Vanessa

Hi Millidance. You sound as if you are in exactly the same situation as me. I haven't slept properly for months and like you I may get an hour here and there but the itching and burning keeps me awake most of the night and the only way I can ever get to sleep is if I scratch until I bleed and then I find it easier to sleep if it hurts rather than itches. I have been waiting for three months for an appointment with a Dermatologist and I have now idea how much longer it will be before I get one so it has been a case of just trying out different treatments which I have bought and it has cost me a fortunate but nothing works. Up until last week I had been pretty desperate and have spent night after night crying in bed but I was looking for something in the bathroom drawers when I came across a tub of ointment tucked right at the back of one of the drawers. The seal hadn't been broken off and it said Coal Tar 5% in Betamethazone. It was just under a year out of date and I couldn't remember ever using it or anything like it I then remembered that I had been given it when I was in a similar situation to the one now, waiting for treatment to start and at least a week before I would get my prescription. I seem to remember that one of the nurses at the hospital gave me two jars of this and said to use it to stop the itching until my light treatment started. I remember opening a jar and didn't like the smell so I think I threw it away. I must have kept one jar and it and put it away. Anyway as desperate as I was I decided to try it and what a difference it has made. It hasn't stopped the itching completely but it has taken the dryness and inflamation away which in turn has calmed things down a lot. There is something similar which you can buy on Amazon called Exorex which is a coal tar lotion and you can put that on and dilute it with emollient. The only emollient I have found that doesn't sting is Apr0derm Coloidal Oat Cream. I hope that may be a help to you. Get back to me if you need to ask me any questions. xxxxx

Posted Sun 25 Sep 2022 04.44 by Milliedance

Hi Vanessa, still awake here. Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly have a look on Amazon 👍 The sheer exhaustion makes it all so much worse 🥺 I'll let you know how I get on. By the way, I waited 7 months to see a Consultant but no doubt it depends on the area where you live. Good luck ♥️

Posted Sun 25 Sep 2022 11.33 by Teflon

Have you tried Axisbiotix? Worked for me, check out Trustpilot for comments regarding the product.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 2022 13.04 by Milliedance

Thank you Teflon, I will look into it

Posted Tue 27 Sep 2022 20.53 by LaughingFlea

I bought Epimax Isomol gel online (it is a white soft cream) a few weeks ago. Epimax has various cream options to choose from. When I put it on my scalp, it feels very moist and calming. It washes off easily. I use it at night and wash my hair in the morning or when I need to go to work. It will definitely help with dryness. Best of luck!

Posted Wed 28 Sep 2022 07.34 by Milliedance (edited Fri 7 Oct 2022 11.20 by Milliedance)

Thank you LaughingFlea. My scalp drives me nuts 24/7 so I'll give this a try. The foam I was prescribed is impossible to get onto my scalp as I have long hair; it sounds as if the Epimax is easier to rub in.

Posted Fri 7 Oct 2022 05.43 by Vinny

Hi have you tried antihistamine tablets been a suffer for many years I take one a day keeps it manageable plus other meds from the brilliant Salford royal dermatology department

Posted Fri 7 Oct 2022 11.18 by Milliedance

Thanks Vinny for your suggestion. I've been taking an antihistamine daily for years as I also have asthma.

Posted Fri 7 Oct 2022 11.24 by Milliedance

Thank you Laughing Flea for your advice. I bought some of the Epimax gel and it's been a real help, better than anything I've tried so far. It's so effective 😊

To take part, sign in or register with us