Psoriasis and mental health/body dysmorphia

Posted Wed 21 Sep 2022 03.44 by Misha94

I've been a sufferer of psoriasis since I was a child . Mine is quite widespread . On legs ,arms and face currently is where I get flare ups. The effect on my self image and mental health along with confidence is so negative. Sometimes it feels as though I'm not in my own body . Does anyone feel this way ? If so , do you have any tips. Thanks x

Posted Sun 25 Sep 2022 18.17 by michmo

my psoriasis began in my teens.it made me feel later in life when it got worses that i would have to stay single.i still feel this way however changing a thing or two has improved it.

Posted Sat 1 Oct 2022 18.44 by Fed

I am the same, had psoriasis since a kid and even in adulthood it still effects my mental health. Some days I don’t leave my bed, I won’t even see family, let alone work or friends. I get self conscious of people standing behind me and always think people can see it. I do find small steps help, and I pamper myself with things that make me happy as a starting point (even little things like wearing a favourite T-shirt that day…)

Posted Sat 1 Oct 2022 19.00 by Misha94

Thankyou . Its so good to know I am not alone in this . Let's stay strong as we can . ❤️🌹

Posted Thu 6 Oct 2022 20.45 by Roisin

I got psoriasis in my teens. I have large areas that flare and lately my ears are covered. My knuckles and feet. I suffer greatly with anxiety because of it. I hate it! I'm so embarrassed of having psoriasis and wish everyday it would go. I get by using different dermablends to cover up in summer. You should try concealer that's psoriasis friendly. X

Posted Wed 12 Oct 2022 18.03 by jenniclaire

I’ve had scalp psoriasis since I was a teen (in 30s now) and when it flares it just feels like nothing will work and it’s unpredictable. I just had a big day at work with nearly all of my service there which I was leading, and when I finished and got to my car realised I had huge chunks of skin in my hair at the front. Really embarrassed and upset. I’ve finally managed to get a dermatologist appointment for the first time but I’ve been waiting 3 months and still another 2 to go. Just felt the need to come on here for the first time and express how hard I’m finding this mentally. Treating it takes up huge chunks of my life and then may not even be effective and then the embarrassment of how I look.

Posted Wed 12 Oct 2022 18.34 by Roisin

I'm in my 30's also, nothing works for my scalp either. But recently I have been told to crush up aspirin and water it into a paste and rub it into my scalp... its worked better than anything the gp pr pharmacy has given. I have only just Bern given a dermatology appointment after all these years it's end of October and I'm worried they won't be able to help me either x

Posted Tue 1 Nov 2022 10.16 by Lex

Hello Misha94, I've had psoriasis since my teens. Now i'm 53. Depending on the severity and results of treatment, feelings of depression variate as well. I'm with my wife long time now and she never had an issue with my plaque psoriasis. Last couple of years i must admit feeling depressed got worse, mainly because i could not do any UV treament anymore and so the psoriasis got worse also. Especially in winter, dropping scales all over the house and also workplace. It can wear you down at times and takes away the focus from other things in live. How you are feeling is made up out of several layers, not just the psoriasis. Only advice i can give you is find positive forces to counter this feeling. Regular exercise also worked for me. Go outside and get some sunlight on your face. Eating healthy and getting enough sleep. Talk to people It may sound insignificant, but it is not. All these little things matter. They are positivity multipliers! And remember one thing: You are not your skin! Last 6 months i have been taking cold showers and it has been doing wonders for me. As far is the body goes, from say +20% covered to less than 2%. But the psoriasis on the scalp remains. I have been trying to tell people about this. Just educate yourselve on the effects of cold exposure on your body. Not just regarding psoriasis but also regarding feeling depressed. Don't need to take ice bads. Just take dail cold showers instead. Give a month to see results. JUst make sure you don't have a hartcondition. Take care! Lex. Moderators probably think i'm a spammer by now. But this is the only honest advice i can give you which i know worked for me and also for some other people i've met online. Cold water is free of charge and very much available.

To take part, sign in or register with us