Scalp psoriasis

Posted Sat 22 Oct 2022 14.17 by Yvonne

I have recently been prescribed Dovobet for scalp psoriasis if that is what it is, as GPs seem unsure. However what suggestions has anyone for getting it out of hair when washing? Despite gving it a good shampoo with medicated shampoo there is still a residual greasiness after drying.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 2022 11.34 by Mark (edited Tue 25 Oct 2022 11.38 by Mark)

If you are using Dovobet ointment it might be worth switching to Dovobet gel. The gel is less greasy and therefore easier to wash out. The disadvantage is that the shelf life for the gel is six months after first opening vs one year for the ointment.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 2022 12.11 by Yvonne

Thanks. I gave it a thorough wash with coal tar soap before shampooing and this did the trick.

Posted Mon 31 Oct 2022 11.12 by Sarbie

Hi Yvonne, I have scalp psoriasis. Which coal tar soap did you use please? I have tried the coal tar shampoos but they just make my scalp more itchy and flaky.

Posted Mon 31 Oct 2022 20.13 by Yvonne

Hi I have only used the Wrights coal tar soap to remove the greasiness from my hair. I shampoo it in and leave it for about 5 mins. The lather will probably disappear in that time. Rinse off and if it still feels greasy repeat the process. Usually twice is enough to get it removed , but depends on how much Dovobet you have applied. I’ve been applying it more sparingly than when first used. I’m not sure if the coal tar soap is having any effect on the psoriasis but it cleans out the grease. Then I use my normal shampoo snd conditioner. Hope this helps. Yvonne Sent from my iPhone On 31 Oct 2022, at 11:12, Psoriasis Association <noreply@psoriasis-association.org.uk> wrote:  Psoriasis Association A reply has been posted A reply has been posted to the Scalp psoriasis discussion on the Psoriasis Association website by Csarbs: Hi Yvonne, I have scalp psoriasis. Which coal tar soap did you use please? I have tried the coal tar shampoos but they just make my scalp more itchy and flaky. To view the full post, visit our website at: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=5482&pid=24872#post24872 You have been sent this message as your email address is registered with the Psoriasis Association (https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk) and you have chosen to receive email notifications of replies to this topic. To stop future notifications, please follow the link above and click "Stop watching this topic". The Psoriasis Association www.psoriasis-association.org.uk Phone: 01604 251 620 Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk Dick Coles House, 2 Queensbridge, Northampton, NN4 7BF

Posted Mon 31 Oct 2022 20.35 by Sarbie

Thanks Yvonne. I haven't used any medication on my scalp for a while now. I found washing my hair with cold water reduced the thick plaques but now it's just very flaky. My hairdresser also recommended putting oil on my scalp for an hour or so and then gently comb through with a fine comb. It helps. I have psoriasis on my body so have just invested in a phototherapy unit. I am hoping this will help my scalp too.

Posted Sun 10 Dec 2023 21.20 by Apieceofme

Baby oil! Super cheap! I rub it into the scalp and hair, leave for about ten mins and shampoo out (shampoo before water, rinse, shampoo again) squeaky clean after !

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 08.32 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Just to mention, Wrights Coal Tar Soap does not contain ANY coal tar. It used to, In 1980-85 I used it for showering as I had psoriais over all my body, and the Wrights soap definitely helped with itching and reducing the plaques. However in the mid or late 90s I think it was, there was a move to remove coal tar from a great number of non-prescription products. If you read the packaging on Wrights soap, it is now described as having "Coal Tar fragrance"

Posted Sat 16 Dec 2023 17.02 by suehend1972@gmail.com
Hello I'm sue

I use head and shoulders clasic clean it helps my psrioses loads

Posted Sat 16 Dec 2023 22.21 by AudreyS

Hi, I’ve just joined this forum. Hoping for some tips,

Posted Sat 16 Dec 2023 22.49 by Yvonne

In April I saw a dermatology consultant privately who diagnosed my condition as lichen simplex and prescribed capasal therapeutic shampoo which has improved my scalp condition and though not resolved completely, regular use keeps it under control. I think this shampoo is only available on prescription. Yvonne

Posted Sun 17 Dec 2023 13.53 by OhNo_NotAgain?

You can buy Capasal, but it is classed as a pharmacy medicine, so you might need to speak to the pharmacist or to fill out a questionaire before you can get it. It is shown on Superdrug website amongst others.

To take part, sign in or register with us