Veinous Insufficiency and Psoriasis

Posted Sat 18 Mar 2023 22.56 by A. K. Thorne (edited Sat 18 Mar 2023 22.58 by A. K. Thorne)

Hey there, new user here, I wanted to ask some questions to see if I could get some advice or if anybody has the same problem around Psoriasis and Veinous Insufficiency. I am 37 years old and have had psoriasis since I was 20. It has progressively become worse over the years, starting on one calf and eventually spreading to where it now covers the entirety of both legs and a good amount of both arms. It hasn't overly bothered me as it has crept up over time and you get used to the pain and irritation, but the physical sight of it has affected me over time and has prevented me living a normal life. Recently I have had some much worse symptoms though. A cut in my left leg from the psoriasis gave me cellulitis last year that I had to go on antibiotics for. While it has cleared up, it seems to have done permanent damage to the veins in that leg. Over time more irritation has built up in the leg, I am used to the usual burning and itching on the surface level of the skin that psoriasis causes but I now have a much more intense burning and itching deeper in the leg, along with visibile veins. The NHS doctor I have seen for it says it's just cosmetic, but I don't feel that it is. I have been out of regular work since covid hit (I used to work in care, but am now a self employed author, it doesn't bring much money in) and getting another job has been difficult, but now I'm potentially facing a financial crisis with needing to see private vascular doctors that charge an arm and a leg for consultations and procedures. I'm just posting this as I am a bit of a loose end and very stressed about it all and am hoping to get advice from others who may have been in a similar position. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted Fri 16 Jun 2023 18.30 by mt382

Nothing specific to offer, other than to say that my journey is the same as yours. Leg coverage, cellulitis on one leg, and now really high, itchy coverage on both legs as a result, even after 2 courses of antibiotics which cleared all signs of cellulitis. My GP said that cellulitis can permanently change the skin, cause persistent psoriaiss after, and leave me more at risk of recurrent cellulitis in that area. That's just a GP though, and it's quite possible to exist as a fairly average GP so take that with a pinch of salt. I've had some success in UV exposure + absolute buckets of steroid on the leg, but naturally it'll recur when I take my foot off the gas.

To take part, sign in or register with us