Home UV lamp

Posted Sun 9 Apr 2023 19.51 by Mjs2023

Hi, I've purchased a home UV light to control my psoriasis as heard good things. I've a bit confused on times though. It says starts of at 10 seconds but is that total time or time per effected area? I'm presuming 10 seconds in total but just wanted to check

Posted Sun 9 Apr 2023 20.09 by Nelly

Hi I am thinking of purchasing one as well so this is a good point, also I was wondering when I use a home UV light should you carry on using steroid cream

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2023 11.26 by Nelly

Hi I was wondering if anyone has bought a home therapy lamp from UVderma as they seem to have good reviews

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2023 11.54 by Mjs2023

That's the one I bought.

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2023 13.49 by Nelly

Hi Mj did you have no problems with UVderma

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2023 13.54 by Mjs2023

Not used it yet as only had 1 week.

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2023 17.07 by Nelly

Ok please let me know how you go on using it thanks

Posted Thu 13 Apr 2023 11.13 by Tollbob

I’ve ordered a UV unit for home too and book a consultation with a private dermatologist with the hope he will draw up a treatment plan for me to use with it. I had UV treatment on the NHS before and it’s been the only treatment that has ever worked for me. I’m hoping this will answer all my prayers as I’m experiencing my worst flare up in 20 years. 80% of my body is covered and my skin is so cracked I’m in constant agony…. I feel repulsive and my mental health is a state because of it. My husband is being so supportive but I’m sure even he is tiring of what psoriasis is doing to me. All I can do hope and dream this treatment will work again!

Posted Thu 13 Apr 2023 12.21 by Nelly

I hope it works too for you it must be awful having so much psoriasis, I only have it on the soles of my feet and that is so painful, so I can't imagine what you must be going through. Could I ask where your purchased your unit from. Thanks Neil

Posted Thu 13 Apr 2023 12.23 by Mjs2023

Would anyone be able to answer my original question if anyone uses one?

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2023 15.42 by Vinnie

Hi, I bought a lamp from MBS (mini unit) in January as I had the worst flare of the last 10 years. I did start 30 seconds for each area (mostly chest, back and part of my legs). And I increased the exposure time slightly every week. I was exposing the areas every other day, usually in the morning after a shower. After every session, I did use a moisturizing cream as the light will make your skin dry. I start seeing some improvements after 6/7 weeks and now after 40 sessions, it is all gone, even in the scalp area (that I did not treat it). The last sessions were nearly 2 minutes per each area. I don't know how long will this last, but at the moment I'm happy of the result. One last thing, if you had a cold sore, cover your lips as the UVB will trigger it. Good luck V

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2023 16.13 by Nelly

Hi vinnie, I have just bought the same unit from Mbs so that is really good news. Mine should arrive this week so hopefully I will be also clear in a few months.

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2023 16.24 by Tollbob

I’ve got mine from MBS too, amazing service from them I have to say! Great to hear you’ve had such good results Vinnie, gives confidence I’ve made the right choice in managing this condition!

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2023 17.25 by Vinnie

One last thing, if you do an online search, you can find Nhs protocols for the treatment and some studies, that are useful to understand exposure time and possible side effects (burn/blister). I did read them before proceeding.

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2023 23.30 by Nelly

Thanks for the info vinnie I'll check that out before I start using the lamp

Posted Tue 17 Oct 2023 12.26 by Nelly

Hi everyone Just a follow up on how things are going. I have just finished 3 months of PUVA light treatment at the hospital and my psoriasis has almost completely gone, I recommend this treatment if you can get it as it has worked brilliantly for me. What I was wondering was if any one has had the same success after light therapy and then used a home UVB lamp to keep it at bay and if so how many minutes and how often you should use the UVB lamp. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted Tue 17 Oct 2023 16.28 by Vinnie

Hi Nelly, After many months of freedom (6), the other week after been with cold and flue at the beginning of October, two spots came back on my chest. The same one that have been on and off with me for the last 10+ years. I did start again with the UVB lamp (on chest) for around 30 seconds every other day and after 5/6 sessions I can see that one of them is already receding. Hopefully it will work again and be free for the whole winter.

Posted Tue 17 Oct 2023 17.29 by Nelly

Hi Vinnie Thanks for your reply, I am hoping to stay clear now, but if needed I will go on my UVB lamp, good luck hope you keep it under control 🤞

Posted Wed 25 Oct 2023 20.24 by andrea
have had p for too many years

Hi Nelly I bought a UVB a 9 tube lamp from MBS a few years ago which I use from beginning of February 10 seconds on a Monday & moisture after then 20 seconds on a Friday and repeat each week increasing only by 10 seconds each time building up to 3 minutes. The timer stops then so you don’t overdo it. You can go higher if you reset it if you need longer. I’m usually clear by end of April. The clear skin usually lasts 3-4 months. I do go in the sun too but I use factor 30 sunscreen.

Posted Sat 28 Oct 2023 12.35 by Nelly

Hi andrea Thanks for your reply, I think that is the best way to start on a few seconds and build up, hopefully it won't come back, so I won't need to use the lamp at all, 👍🤞

To take part, sign in or register with us