Life with psoriasis

Posted Thu 14 Jul 2016 21.17 by Emily

Hello I am 17 years old and have psoriasis. Psoriasis affects me in so many ways, for example, I can't go out the house with out covering my arms and legs I am so scared and embarrassed what people might think, this is so difficult and annoying when it is sunny and hot, as I just will not show my skin. I have had psoriasis all my life and my only wish is to not have psoriasis. Please could anyone help with how to get psoriasis to go away and to build up my confidence. Thank you. X

Posted Fri 22 Jul 2016 12.57 by Jessie88

Hi Emily, I've had psoriasis since i was 2 (i'm 28 now) and i know exactly what you're going through, even on this sunny day ive covered heard to toe. I've tried all kinds of treatments including dovebet, dovenex and hydrocortison creams/ointments and im discovering different alternative treatments all the time like cod liver oil capsules (someone even suggested rubbing banana skin on my arms) I think the best advice i can give confidence wise is to make sure you have a good support network, my partner and friends have had a huge positive impact on my confidence and although today i am covered up (Mostly because i am fair skin and burn easily) around them i dont feel the need to, and you'll find over time that you will feel more confident being in public with short sleeves. When i moved away from home i found strangers would notice my Psoraisis and offer their advice (Everyone knows someone with it). I hope this helps. Jess x

Posted Sun 31 Jul 2016 10.19 by Emily

Sorry for the late reply. I just want to say thank you so much for replying and giving me advice, this has given me more confidence to know I am not the only one suffer from being afraid to show my skin. And to know that you have over come your fear, makes me think I can hopefully do the same. Thank you again. X

Posted Wed 3 Aug 2016 18.32 by Zo
Hi 33 year fun loving person with horrible skin.

Hi i ve been suffering with this since aged 10 yrs, im now 33 I feel the same as you, i hate summer at times. Its so difficilt and you do feel so alone but talking about it and confinding in friends and family so they know exactly how making you feel can help. I think jm going to consider the injection treatment as tried creams, light treatment etc x Best wishes

Posted Wed 3 Aug 2016 22.24 by sirian83

I've had psoriasis since I was five. I'm now in my early thirties. I know how you feel, you're not alone. I cover up when it's hot too. It's not nice I know.

Posted Sun 7 Aug 2016 20.43 by Angiekeys
Hey, I'm Angie, psoriasis sufferer since I was 11 years old. Looking for support so I'm not alone in this disease.

Eliza, your negativity doesn't help. Knowing that we aren't alone and aren't freaks for how we look does help. It's not false hope. I'm 37 and have suffered with severe P all my life. I have my down days and cry and rant and then I pick myself back up and look at what a good life I have with a quality of life that other people with other diseases couldn't say the same. As far as the summer clothes Emily, I have this down to a fine art now! Light floaty pretty fabrics that cover you but keep you cool. It's important to feel good even if you are covered as this will give you confidence. I'm starting a blog about it so could send it to you if you're interested in sharing ideas. What I will also say is don't suffer alone. See your doctor and dermatologist because there are so many things that can help now. As I suffer with it severely, the only thing that helps is immune suppressant medication but it worked very well for me! It's not impossible to improve and you should have hope that it can be helped. Don't suffer alone and keep fighting :)

Posted Mon 8 Aug 2016 06.59 by martinstevens270 (edited Mon 8 Aug 2016 17.18 by martinstevens270)
Guttate psoriasis, flared up on 28/04/16

I am 32 years old and up till 28th April this year I hadn't suffered from psoriasis and BANG, after suffering strep throat, which I had no clue I'd got, guttate psoriasis was all over me, between 70-80% coverage. This was soul destroying for me and like you I don't show my legs and arms. I've got a website with what has worked for me, but like you know, there isn't a known cure. Take a look at majaz dot co dot uk.

1 Posted Mon 8 Aug 2016 13.10 by Zo

Angiekeys please could I have your blog info Thankyou x

Posted Tue 9 Aug 2016 20.03 by adamc

DO NOT GO TO WEB SITE THAT MICHAELSTEVENS HAS POSTED ABOVE

Posted Tue 9 Aug 2016 21.49 by Zo

What is wrong with michaelsteven post ?, as bit worried as looked last night Ta

Posted Tue 9 Aug 2016 22.51 by martinstevens270 (edited Tue 9 Aug 2016 23.06 by martinstevens270)

I've done my own website about my experience with guttate psoriasis and don't see what the issue is. For a start you could spell my name right. Maybe the issue is that I am making my own vapour rub as this was a MASSIVE turning point in controlling the horrendous itching it was causing. I found Vicks vapour rub was too harsh. So I am developing my own.

Posted Tue 9 Aug 2016 23.20 by martinstevens270

Adamc, your reply has really got my goat up. For a start, I am sharing my story with as much people as I can. I'm giving my experience on managing guttate psoriasis and hoping other people may get some ideas or even hope, what I've done to help my psoriasis will help others. I've had my domain name for years and I've always struggled what to do with it. Since coming out with guttate psoriasis, it has given me something to actually put on my site that I am passionate about and hope others will see that.

Posted Thu 11 Aug 2016 22.48 by gingermonkey
For several years...drives me mad but won't bring me down.

What's the prob Adam?

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2016 07.52 by adamc

When I typed in the demain name virgin blocked the site due to it containing malware

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2016 07.59 by adamc

Viruses or a scam site, not my words mate virgin medias. Somebody has obviously reported your site, It must be that you've sold your vapour rub and somebody thinks its piss mate so you've probably been reported as a scam site, just out of curiosity was that your first post on this site ?

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2016 08.24 by Angiekeys
Hey, I'm Angie, psoriasis sufferer since I was 11 years old. Looking for support so I'm not alone in this disease.

This sort of thing is what bugs me about forum sites like this. What's this conversation got to do with the 17 year old first post and in helping her. Let's stay on focus.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2016 11.54 by martinstevens270

Actually, I've never sold any vapour rub nor have I got any to sell yet as I'm making and testing on myself and my sister first. In regards to my website. It's up and working. I've had the domain name for years. With your attention to details, you should already know that I'm using Word Press and I've had several issues with hackers and viruses which caused the block on Virgin Media. I too have Virgin Media and there are no issues.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2016 16.53 by adamc

Not arguing with you mate was just pointing it out may you should have a word with virgin media, best of luck with your vapour rub hope it works for you fella

Posted Tue 16 Aug 2016 12.57 by claudette

i used to hide my psoriasis but i found it makes it worse with clothe touching it. i started wearing shorts and vest tops at home and in garden and find the sun and air is good for it then a few of my friends said that i shouldn't hide it so now i wear t shirts and cropped trousers as much as possible ( also meant i could apply cream more regularly as easier to do so ). psoriasis is not due to your life style it is not to be ashamed of. dont get me wrong i still get the looks and questions but i just tell them what it is please dont hide away xx

Posted Wed 17 Aug 2016 05.42 by Mydadpeter

Im 32 iv had poriais for 22 years iv had good times and bad times i was hospitalied thru my late teen several times for coal tar treatments and uv light (never helped) it was burnt sore to touch the pjs i had to wear just made it itch more why in hopital. Then when it cleared up in my 20s i was so happy it was just tiny dots on the back of my legs on my knees and elbows ( they have never gone from them areas) but afer having each of my 3 children by ceserean each time i had a really bad outbreak and then being sterilised after my 3rd the trauma to my body flared it back out so bad ( but it was worth it i got the 3 loves of my life) so they made it worth while. But i am still now bodily concience even tho im clear and you cant notice my little patches i still dont walk round confidently in shorts or skirts or vest tops because its phsycological its been in my head for so long from the bad times that i think people are looking at me, do they feel dirty being by me ect... Its so depressing. My teens were the worst days of my life. But i have had every cream available steroids moisturises and now im 32 my skin is so thin the slightest knock or fall and i bruise and mark eay i have some small veins on my legs bunched together from the steroid creams. I am also a sunbed addict if i dont go on atleast once a week or fortnight i think my psoriasis will come back. I hate what it has done to me and how i think. But i was dealt my worst blow 6 weeks ago my 8 yr old daughter had a sore throat 3 days later she was covered head to toe with poriasis the guilt i feel. But i know how it feels and how he is feeling i will get her through it and i will not let it get her down or anyone put her down. It under control now from regular moiturisisng and keeping her happy and worry free. That is all i can advise moiturise 20 time a day if you want it i the best medicine and think happy thoughts. Its nice to know there is other people with it and i can talk to them i had noone i was lonely left to suffer in silence. I just wish more was done to find some sort of proof of why psoriasis happen, and a cure o much money goes into cancer ( i am not slagging cancer charities i lost my dad to lung cancer 2 yrs ago) but people speak out about it and they get the funding People with psoriasis are so worried about what people think of them that not enough is spoken out about it to get the funding. I am not in anyway direspecting people with psoriasis I understand i still get embarrased now, but its not us it the small minded society we live in.

To take part, sign in or register with us