Some help and advice please. Thanks

Posted Wed 2 Aug 2023 18.43 by willclowes

Hi, I’m 45 yrs old, male, and a few months ago I was diagnosed with PA after some small but controllable psoriasis. I have a lot of discomfort in my hands, mainly index fingers and thumbs. I’ve been taking prescribed Sulphasalazine for two months and suffering from side effects - continuous headaches, struggling to concentrate, fatigue and nausea. I’ve not really felt any benefits yet, but trying to remain patient! I was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and have any advice or tips for both the arthritis and the medication side effects? Im new to all this and rather worried about how this will progress?? Many thanks.

Posted Wed 2 Aug 2023 20.49 by Dianeinthemountains

Hi willclowes, Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I’m 55 and was diagnosed last year with no skin symptoms, but achy, weak fingers, toes, hips, back and lower back along with general fatigue. I did 3 months of methotrexate with terrible side effects and no results, then 3 months of Humira injections with no side effects but also no results. I tried Otezla for 10 days with intolerable side effects. I tried a 20/4 fast (I.e. one meal per day) for six weeks and got moderate relief, but that method was not sustainable because I was hungry for 20 hours per day and overstuffed for the remaining four. I finally found a solution that has made my pain almost go away entirely and my rheumatologist is on board with my plan because I’ve had such great results: 1. I’ve stopped feeling sorry for myself. I lift weights and do cardio with no more excuses. I don’t let my husband carry heavy things or open jars for me. 2. I eat a gluten-free diet. I never believed in gluten intolerance until I realized the intense pain in my hips keeping me up at night went away completely if I didn’t eat gluten. Try it for just a few days because the results happened that fast for me. In fact, I know when I’ve accidentally eaten gluten, because the hip pain comes back that very night 3. I take turmeric and fish oil supplements, per my rheumatologist’s recommendation. 4. I have eliminated red meat and dairy from my diet and try to have a green smoothie every day to get antioxidants, but the first two steps have had the most dramatic effect on my symptoms. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2023 08.51 by Billy bass

I dont take any meds now for posariasis,even tho i have a outbreak now,i do take omega 3,and control my diet like the above post,which seems to work for me,but youll always have the aches+pains its part of what the illness is,theres no one method in treatment for it because its different in most people,so its best to take your docs advice and a mixture of diet ect and experiment with suppliments,its a long haul with this illness but theres plenty of advice on this site and the psoriasis association,ive had it all my life and now im 63yrs old,ive not beaten it but learnt to live with it and know whats best for me,its a minefield for anyone who has it because everyones different,i hope you find some relief and your not alone theres great people on this site who will help you !

Posted Tue 15 Aug 2023 11.26 by Sandra Dorothy
Hello! i am sandra dorothy makeup artist and currently living in uk

i am sorry to hear about it. It's not uncommon to experience side effects from medications, and what you're experiencing with Sulphasalazine is something your doctor should be made aware of. They can determine if the side effects are tolerable or if adjustments to your treatment plan are needed.If you're experiencing side effects that are affecting your quality of life, it's crucial to communicate this to your doctor. They can consider alternative treatments or adjustments to your current medication to help manage your symptoms with fewer side effects.

To take part, sign in or register with us