Help for my mum

Posted Tue 29 Aug 2023 19.49 by Forestmamma

Hi, My mum has psoriasis and nothing is working to improve it. She's had steroids from the gp, but they've really not done anything to improve it. Her whole back is covered, her legs are red raw. She's in intense pain, incredibly itchy, can't go out because clothes irritate beyond belief. She's seen a private dermatologist but it wasn't helpful. Got an nhs appt in 2 weeks, it feels like we're holding on by our fingertips to get there. We're hoping they'll offer light therapy. She's using the creams and emollients, she's utterly diligent about it. This is horrific, she's so isolated by this. She's suffering so much and I don't know how to help her. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 2023 20.21 by steph

I'm really sorry to hear that. The NHS are good they will help to get it reduced. In the mean time keep up with any cheap moisturizer not perfumed and try cutting down on dairy products, apparently dairy can cause some people to flare up badly. Also be positive,and await the appointment in a couple of weeks. I'm under the hospital at the moment and there really good. Steph

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2023 22.03 by PrincessDi

This may sound strange but I used to take a tube of steroid cream put it in a bottle lotion and mix it up she can put it on her legs and wrap with plastic wrap overnight, doesn't have to be tight, seems to make the medicine get into the skin better and gives some relief. Something like Lubriderm lotion if available there.

To take part, sign in or register with us