Discrimination because of psoriasis

Posted Sun 3 Sep 2023 23.10 by Vsfoster

Has anyone had experiences with discrimination because of their plaque psoriasis? I was refused service when trying to get a pedicure today.

Posted Mon 4 Sep 2023 08.55 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I would suggest that you phone a salon before making an appointment and check if they understand what psoriasis is, and if they are comfortable to serve you. I did this with regards to my scalp - I popped in the the salon, the senior stylist was well aware of what psoriasis is, and after taking a look at how severe it was in my scalp they said there was no problem to colour and cut my hair (after the obligatory patch test). I can see that if I had raw and weeping/bleeding plaques it might not be so straightforward.

Posted Mon 4 Sep 2023 15.17 by PrincessDi

A stylist told me when they go to, I guess beauty school they are schooled on skin conditions that people have and psoriasis was one of them so they are supposed to be aware. The pedicure situation would make me want to find a good attorney because discrimination is exactly what that is, shame on them.

Posted Tue 5 Sep 2023 11.21 by lizziep

I have been refused a facial at a health Spa - there explanation was that they were afraid of causing a reaction. It is so upsetting.

Posted Thu 14 Sep 2023 22.15 by Polly (edited Wed 20 Sep 2023 04.16 by Polly)

I was asked to get out in the Mandarin Hotel swimming pool in Hong Kong because 'it is upsetting for other bathers' - I was devastated and humiliated.

Posted Tue 19 Sep 2023 23.27 by Psoripolly

I was refused a massage on holiday and I only had a small patch about 3x3” on my back. The sun was doing a good job clearing it too! With a tan I’d felt good until then!

Posted Wed 27 Sep 2023 19.17 by marcojimes63

Greeting here

To take part, sign in or register with us