My 5yo has developed psoriasis

Posted Thu 23 Nov 2023 21.12 by MeldLeo

Hello, I’ve had a brief scan over posts and not sure if anyone here has a child with psoriasis? My 5yo son developed a few lesions on his torso / back during his first school holiday (he started primary school 10 weeks earlier). After a week more spots appeared so I took him to Dr, she prescribed antibiotics for 1 week and fuicidin however after the course finished it got worse. Saw another Dr, referred to dermatology via photos and they got back saying guttate psoriasis and got various steroid creams for 2 weeks. No improvement. Finally saw dermatologist face to face today and got new intensive treatment plan (once I get hold of the prescriptions) to start for 7 days. This is all new to me. It’s so hard seeing my little one suffer, the itchiness drives him crazy and it’s sore. We think stress of starting school has triggered it as he’s had no infection / strep. My granny had it mild but no other family. Basically asking for any advice?

Posted Thu 23 Nov 2023 21.55 by kiloran (edited Thu 23 Nov 2023 21.56 by kiloran)
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

It must be really hard for him (and you). At least as an adult you can give yourself a strong talking to and have others to support you. Guttate is particularly unpleasant I believe. I don't have any experience but soft cotton gloves might help reduce soreness. Keep his nails short too. Basically chickenpox protocol. Scratching is a vicious circle. Keep his hands busy if you can. Wouldn't normally advocate loads of screen time for a 5yo but iPad/gaming time might distract him. That certainly works for me as does meditation. Don't skimp on painkillers (Calpol etc) either. Hopefully treatment is well-timed with it not being too long until end of term and Christmas.

To take part, sign in or register with us