UV treatment / subbeds

Posted Sun 10 Dec 2023 21.11 by Apieceofme (edited Sun 10 Dec 2023 21.11 by Apieceofme)

I’ve been told by a nutritionalist that some sun bed places have uvb - non radiation ballast sunbeds so I asked around my local salons and found one. I was covered from head to toe in gutate psoriarsis, tried all sorts of diets and suppliments and within three sessions on this sun bed (3 mins every 7-9 days) I’m 80% clear. Im just wondering if anyone has any advice on this going forward. The sunbed shop owner said they can’t advise as I must use them at my own risk and cannot legally recommend anything to be used therapeutically which I understand. But it is the only thing that has worked for me (and so rapidly). I want to continue as my mental health took a very dark turn when my flare up was at its worse but I don’t want to take any big risks long term. Holidays always clear me up but I just can’t afford it at the moment.

Posted Sun 10 Dec 2023 21.22 by S.
40years

I'm amazed that a local sun bed salon had one of these machines. Why would they use one of these?

Posted Mon 11 Dec 2023 05.12 by skin
Yes

I asume you are on a NHS waiting list to see a consultant dermatologist. Then request NHS phototherapy. However, if you are living in Worcestershire - expect to wait a year or two before phototherapy becomes available again in this NHS Trust area of the UK. It's 'hopeless'! Phototherapy works but to get it can be extremely difficult. Good luck, and pray for miracles!

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 10.05 by Nelly

I have just completed a 12week photo therapy course at the hospital and my psoriasis is 80% cleared. I have now bought my own UVB light and the dermatologist has said use it about 3times a week for about 30seconds at 1st and build up to about 3minutes if needed. You must look out for any signs of skin cancer as well, also the tubes the hospital use are Philips TL01 narrow band UVB tubes. But yes I also tried every cream possible and this is the only treatment that has worked. Good look and hope you stay clear.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 11.22 by S.
40years

Hi Nelly! I had exactly the same experience. Tried all sorts and only the UVB worked, so I bought a lamp; the waiting time to get seen for a referral was ridiculous. Sounds like you got the same advice as I did re. exercising caution. (Really feel for those who can't afford the outlay for the machines, which are very expensive.) All I can say is be persistent in asking to see a dermatologist to get the light treatment. Surely the NHS would save in the long term, both in doctors' time and medicine charges, if this treatment were more readily available, since it seems to be so effective for so many? I looked up the price of a single tube of prescription cream yesterday, merely out of interest...... a gobsmacking £67!!!

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 11.31 by Nelly

I agree if it costs £67 for a tube of cream, surely it would be more cost effective to have light treatment. But yes keep asking to be referred to a dermatologist and hopefully you will get the light treatment 👍

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 16.18 by Apieceofme

The sun bed shop I went to basically said they saw a gap in the market as so many people came in asking about UVB. They use the Phillips bulbs too and electric ballasts rather than the high radiation ones that normal sun beds have. I am now 90% healed, after just two sessions and it continues to get better by the day without top ups but I am thinking to have a couple of minutes every few weeks during the winter to keep it at bay. My entire body and scalp was covered I could cry at how amazing it is now. I also did a weeks detox and continue to do a morning binder plus Hannah Sillitoe probiotic drink. Completely cut dairy and sugar only on the rare occasion. I tried vitamin D suppliments but I think I have malabsorbtion as that never worked.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 16.32 by S.
40years

There's definitely a gap in the market and glad you found somewhere that offers this facility, but I'm still amazed that they would take the risk of using such high powered machines in these days of Health & Safety and blame culture. Pleased to read it's working so well for you!

To take part, sign in or register with us